Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience:  11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.

I have an excrutiating toothache and have no money to go to ...

I have an excrutiating toothache and have no money to go to a dentist. I am absolutely broke. I located a clinic where I can go that is low cost but I can't afford them either. I am also afraid that even if I could, they would not be considerate of my heart murmur and other medical issues. I am in so much pain, if I don't get relief soon I will have no other choice but to go to the ER. I have been using garlic and it eases the pain for awhile but it is embarrasing tto have that odor. I am only able to pay for this question because I remembered I used this service once and still had a balance on my account.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 8 years ago.

Welcome to just answer.

I am sorry to hear about your pain and discomfort.

A very effective way to control dental pain using the Over The Counter Medications is to switch between taking 400 milligrams of Ibuprofen ( 2 tablets of Advil) and 1000 milligrams of acetaminophen ( extra strength Tylenol) after every 4 hours. Please read more about Tylenol and Ibuprofen here before taking the mediicnes.

Other effective home remedies which will help you:

1) You can also apply 'toothache drops' available at any pharmacy nearby you.

2) Application of Clove Oil to the aching tooth is best to reduce pain.Clove oil contains Eugenol which is very soothing to exposed tooth surface, Place a drop or two on cotton pellet and place it on the tooth (cavity/decay)

3) Ice pack can help in providing relief.

Wrap an ice pack in a towel and apply it to the outside of your mouth for 15 to 20 minutes every hour until your pain subsides, the ice will calm agitated nerve endings in your aching tooth.

Also avoid eating, hot, spicy and hard food. Don’t brush hard or chew hard foods from that area. Keep that area clean and free from food particles.

I hope this helps!

If you have any more questions, please feel free to respond to this question.If you are satisfied please don't forget to ACCEPT the answer. BONUSES and positive feedback are always appreciated

Good Luck!

Dr. Hans

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This is absolutely NOT the answer I was looking for!!! I am looking for a solution to have the dental work done!!! This pain is horrible but only DENTAL work will solve it. It appears that a nerve may be exposed.
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 8 years ago.
Hello again,

I am sorry to have mis-read your query .I will be sending you you answer shortly.

Meanwhile can you please tell me which tooth it is and since when it is bothering you.

Is your tooth sensitve to hot /cold food stuff which lasts even after the stimulus is removed?

Thank you for your patience and your prompt reply.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr.Hans's Post: I have severe decay so it may be more than one tooth. They are sensitive to mostly cold and yes the pain does last after it is removed. I have had the pain since this past Monday. It is one two of my molars.
I didn't mean to snap at you but I am so anxious to find out if there is anything I can do.
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 8 years ago.

Please don’t say that, in fact I am thankful to you for your fast reply and for your patience.

Coming to your query? They are sensitive to mostly cold and yes the pain does last after it is removed.

Sensitivity to cold does indicates an inflamed pulp. The inflammation is considered REVERSIBLE if the pain from the cold stimulus disappears within a few seconds of removing the cold stimulus i.e. 15 seconds.

And if the pain from cold stimulus lingers on for 15 seconds or longer the inflammation is considered to be IRREVERSIBLE and it has proceeded to a situation where the nerve has died.

Also sensitivity to Hot on a tooth is a classic symptom of a dead nerve.

So, I was ruling out the possibility of dying nerve and need of root canal procedure, which your tooth does require!

Also, this type pain is often radiating and it pain cannot be manifested as confined to one tooth ,So to rule which teeth exactly needs the root canal i would suggest you get Pulp vitality tests done along with the x-rays before you proceed with the procedure.These tests are done by special instrument called Electric pulp tester which checks the tooth responses to cold and hot.

I would also like to suggest some treatment plan option. You can try the following low cost/free avenues and see if they work for you.

1) Try to contact your local dental state association for help. They can guide to find charitable organizations, discounted programs or dental foundations operating in your area that charge less or very minimal fee. You can find the contact details of your local dental society by following this links:

2) You can also contact a dental school nearby you; treatment rendered here is less expensive as compared to private dentists. Treatment is provided by dental students under the supervision of their skilled teachers and supervisors

I hope this helps!

Please ask me again if you have any remaining queries or doubts.

I wish you well.

Dr. Hans

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks so much! I never thought about the dental association. That makes so much sense. I appreciate your information and your time.
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 8 years ago.
Hello again,

I am glad i could help you!

I thank you too for your patience and fast resonses.

I wish you well

Take Care

you dont have to reply to this post)