Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience:  Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.

The back of my tounge is white, I feel Like I have hair ...

The back of my tounge is white, I feel Like I have hair stuck in the back of my tounge. I can scrape it and white stuff is in my nails. This has been going on for a couple of days now. I keep drinking water and it not helping

Dear Whitney,

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

You have nothing to worry about. This can be treated by purchasing a tongue scraper at your pharmacy and physically pulling off the white "hairs" that you see. The small papillae that make up the fine pink carpet of the top of your tongue have failed to shed their excess cells as they grow. There are a few precipitating factors that can cause this to happen that are described in the following web links:

I hope this answers your question. If you would like to discuss this further or have any additional questions, please reply to my answer and I will get right back to you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
But I brush my tounge twice a day and it still doesn't help. My friends mom is a nurse and she said I could have a yeast infection
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you