Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.

Worstening Deep Pain in Lower Jaw towards Ear

I have been experiencing what seemed to be inner ear pain for the last 2 weeks. During the past several days the pain has dramatically gotten worse radiating down my cheek diagonally from the center of my ear to the bottom of my jaw, (if you press your finger under the lip of the jaw about one inch from the corner of the jaw line the pain is the most severe). I feel like I could pull out every one of my lower left teeth and it would feel better. I did have a root canal about 2 years ago in that back molar which has always been a bit sensitive, but never alarming. I have been taking ibuprofin for the last 2 days to help but it''s not oing much at this point.

I have read a ton of info online that points to TMJ issues but I''ve never been known to grind my teeth, at least I don''t think so.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer. Before i can answer your question , can u please provide the following information ?

- were X rays ever made of your upper/lower teeth ?
- do u experience pain while chewing ?

Dr. Behere.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for answering so quickly.

I haven't had recent x-rays; only at the time of my root canal almost 2 years ago.

There is no pain in my teeth when I chew, just pain in what feels like the bone of my jaw. I can squeeze my mouth shut with no pain and very little pain but maybe a little tightness when I open in it wide.
I can run my finger under my tongue along the back of my jaw under my teeth and feel the pain.

Thanks for providing the additional information.

It looks like a nerve issue, more than tooth related pain. Neuralgic pain is sharp and shooting, very severe, but does not get triggered due to finger pressure.

I advise a consultation from an expereiced neurologist. Sometimes the diagnosis of these nerve conditions have to be done in retrospect ( that is, judging by your response to certain very specific medications like carbamezapine).

A factor in favour of it being neural pain, is that Ibuprofen is not helping.

You have tried so much already, it would be worth giving it this one last shot.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.

I wish you a speedy recovery !!!

Dr. Behere.

If my answer has helped you, please click on the *ACCEPT* button and give me *POSITIVE FEEDBACK*.

A * BONUS* will be highly appreciated. This tells me that my advice was indeed beneficial.