Dr Rao
Dr Rao, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  General Dentist , Private practice since past 6 years.........
2216047

i have a small dark spot on my tooth my dentist said ...

Customer Question

i have a small dark spot on my tooth my dentist said its not a cavity, can you tell me what it is and how do i get rid of it?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr Rao replied 6 years ago.

Where is the spot located?

which tooth is having this spot,front tooth or back tooth?

which surface is this spot present? Is it the front ,outside inside or on top of the tooth?

Since when have you noticed ths spot?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Rao's Post: its on my fist top mollar? on the right side..its on the outside top of the tooth and ive noticed the spot about 3 weeks ago.
Expert:  Dr Rao replied 6 years ago.

hi,

This black spot on the tooth could be a discolouration of the tooth .These spots generally are more commonly seen in the grooves and pits present on the tooth.The grooves and pits are present normally in a tooth because of the irregular tooth anatomy and this is normal.

These black spots do indicate the start of dental caries ,even though sometimes there may not be a presence of a cavity.

Dark spots on the smooth surface of the tooth are not normal and if present needs to be corrected.

You can ask your dentist if this dark spot is present on the smooth surface or the grooves and pits of your tooth.

If it is present on the pits and fissures ,these can be removed and covered using pits and fissure sealants.

However ,your dentist would be the best person to tell you whether there is any need for this treatment option.You can also ask your dentist if pit and fissure sealants are an option that could be considered here.

Please let me know if you need to know more about this topic.