Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience:  11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.

i have been waking up in the morning with loose teeth or ...

i have been waking up in the morning with loose teeth or just soar teeth. All teeth are in the front of my mouth, and one has eveen been so loose that it has moved a little. What may be going on? Do I need to see my Dentist or my pcp? Thanks for any help you may have. jennifer
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

How old are you ?

Since how long have you been experiencing these symtoms?

How is the condition of your gums? Do they appear red or swollen?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem.

Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i am 32
off and on for a year
my gums are in good condition, i see my denist reguraly however forgot to mention problem no problems with gums
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr.Hans's Post: i am 32
off and on for a year
my gums are in good condition, I see my denist often just for got to mention it
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your response.

If many of your teeth are loose with out any other symptoms than you are most likely to have Periodontal disease or gum disease.

Periodontal disease is a chronic, recurrent inflammatory condition initiated and sustained by sub gingival plaque bacteria .As it progresses it results in destruction of structures supporting the teeth it slowly dissolves the bone around your teeth and over the period of time your teeth can become loose.

This infection is triggered by bacterial plaque which lies below the gingval margin (as subgingival deposits) and is usually hard to clean with brush. This causes gum's to shrink which results in deepening of gingival sulcus thereby leading to pocket formation which attracts more of these toxins and it therefore becomes a vicious cycle, thereby allowing more debris, plaque and food to accumulate their way into the spaces. As the disease progresses, it slowly dissolves the bone around your teeth and the teeth lose their grip from the alveolar socket.

Other symptoms of periodontal disease are Bad breath, bleeding from gum's, dull pain in teeth, bone loss (seen in xrays), which manifest as disease progresses. Many times, the patient is unaware of this disease as these clinical symptoms don’t appear until the disease gets on to an advanced stage.

Coming to your query about the loose tooth:

For proper treatment, you need to go to a Periodontist (gum care specialists). In the case of this one tooth, the dentist(periodontist) will bond it to the adjacent teeth by splinting.Splinting is an excellent way by which your loose teeth can be joined with your other teeth, with the help of a wire or resin bonding agents. Splinting the teeth allows weakened teeth to be supported by the neighboring teeth. Read more about it here in detail in the link:

Other than this you will also require additional treatment (splinting is usually carried out after -Phase I therapy of scaling and root planning) in this region of your mouth to treat and stop the bone loss. It includes Scaling and Root debridement.This treatment will prevent it from escalating the disease to the level that cause further bone loss and shrinking of the gum's in later stages.

I hope this helps!If you are satisfied please don't forget to ACCEPT the answer.

BONUSES and positive feedback are always appreciated. If you have any more questions, please feel free to respond to this question.

Good Luck!

Dr. Hans
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
my denist has told me that my gums are healthy. could this be a jaw problem.
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for your response

If your gums are healthy are in good condition that you probably won’t be having any periodontal disease & & your symptoms can also be due to jaw / temporomandibular joint disorder (Tmj).

Teeth can exhibit severe mobility & it can also cause tooth loss .This happens when supporting bone gets destroyed and when heavy forces are being placed on teeth. TMJ Disorder is a complex abnormality which involves disk displacement and deformity, inflammation and alteration of the synovial fluid.

Sleeping abnormalities such as clenching and grinding of the teeth (bruxism- a non-functional habit that can occur while awake or asleep.), results in adverse excessive loading of the TMJ causing breakdown of the lubrication system resulting in degenerative changes in the articular surfaces and disk displacement.

The signs and symptoms of temporomandibular joint disorder can vary in their presentation and may not be same in each individual. See the link for more details:

Just as there are no established guidelines for diagnosing temporomandibular disorder, there also is no single best treatment.

Conservative, nonsurgical therapy is the right way to begin and usually doctors/dentists also try to emphasize on these approaches such as using:

1) You can use Ice packs,

2) Try gentle Jaw Stretching & Relaxation Exercises

3) If ice packs don't work you can use moist heat pads.

4) Painkiller Medicines such as Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), Muscle relaxants will help you. (For muscle relaxants you will need your doctor’s prescription).Read more about them here:

5) Tmj Splints (/mouth guards)

These treatments which I have listed above do work when combined together, so I feel you should discuss about these treatment options with your doctor/ dentist. Also the mouth guard that you wear should be made by taken your own mouth measurements by the dentist i.e. it should be a Custom fitted mouth guard.

If at all your TMD doesn't get better after trying the basic treatments listed above, you should try other possible treatment options.

The other treatment options available are:

Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation for jaw relaxation,

Ultrasound treatment

, Trigger-point injections and Surgery can also be done which is considered as the last resort which is considered last, only if you still are experiencing severe, persistent pain and all other treatment options are not working.

Have a look at this link too for more information of treatment options in details:

I hope this helps! If you are satisfied please don't forget to ACCEPT the answer.

Good Luck!

Dr. Hans