Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience:  11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.

About 10 years ago, after my 3rd child, one of my back ...

About 10 years ago, after my 3rd child, one of my back teeth broke. I went to the dentist and was told I would need root canal and crown to fix it (about $2500). Needless to say, I didn''t have the money. Now, all of my back teeth are in various degrees of broken to completely missing. Last night one of my bigger teeth, closer to the front broke in half. They seem to be all the ones with fillings. I''m terrified of opening my mouth to show anyone. I brush my teeth more than twice a day, I used to love to floss, but now I''m afraid of tugging too hard and losing more teeth. Can this be fixed? Is there still hope for me? I have a great smile, I love my teeth, just not the ones in the back. I''m so scared, and I still don''t have any money. Are there any solutions?

Welcome to just answer.

First of all I would like to tell you that you need to cheer up and YES there is still hope for you.

Your fractured fillings or teeth (if there is at least 1/3rd of the crown (upper) portion remaining) can be restored and crowns can be given. If there is little or very minimal tooth structure remaining than the best would be to get them replaced by artificial prosthesis such as bridges, partials etc. Any broken tooth/teeth which is infected should not be left unattended can cause infection thereby giving rise to pain and swelling.

With proper brushing and flossing you will certainly have excellent oral heath (teeth and gums) but whatever damaged has taken place is irreversible and it needs to be taken care.

I am sorry to hear about your discomfort. Please don’t feel sad or low about your situation as you can surely be helped and you can seek all the treatment such as root canals ,fillings, crowns etc without paying too much.

1) You can try to contact your Local dental state association for help. They can guide to find charitable organizations, discounted programs or dental foundations operating in your area that charge less or very minimal fee. You can find the contact details of your local dental society by following this link:

Just choose the area you live in from the drop down menu and click "Enter". A list of all the dental societies in that particular area will be listed. Click on the one that pertains to your area and the contact details will present themselves.

You can also approach your dental society in New York by clicking on the following link:

2) Consider having your work done at a dental school. The treatment rendered here is far less expensive as compared to private dentists. Treatment is provided by dental students under the supervision of their skilled teachers and supervisors,

Here is the link for details and addresses of all the dental school in USA

3) In addition, you can also check this website that lists dental offices that offer free and discounted clinics and camps all across the country. Search for one in your or nearby your area.

I hope this was helpful to you. If you are satisfied please don't forget to ACCEPT the answer.

BONUSES and positive feedback are always appreciated. If you have any more questions, please feel free to respond to this question.

Good Luck!

Dr. Hans