Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience:  Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.

What kind of glue should I use to fix a bridge

My plastic temporary bridge broke. I have had it a year and just raised the 15 thousand needed to replace with a permanent. My dentist cant see me to may glue this one until next wednesday so i need a temporary fix. Is super glue or marine silicone glue appropriate?

Dear ,

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

I find it hard that if you are prepared to spend $15,000 at your dentist's office for a permanent prosthesis, why he is going to make you wait an entire week with a broken temporary bridge. I would call him tomorrow and remind him of this. Regardless of your large treatment plan, your dentist should have emergency time reserved in his schedule to take care of these kinds of things, whether it be a single tooth temporary or an entire bridge temporary like yours.

The reason I tell you this is because there is no over the counter adhesive or glue that will work to re-cement your temporary bridge successfully. Super glue, in addition to its toxicity, does very poorly in a wet environment. Marine silicone adhesive also does poorly in the mouth.

You have a legitimate dental emergency. I suggest you insist you have this taken care of in the next day or two by your dentist.

I hope this answers your question. If you would like to discuss this further or have any additional questions, please reply to my answer and I will get right back to you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to call again tomorrow, but I think he out of the office for the rest of the week.

I'm wondering if they consider it less of an emergency because I found another dentist to have two root canals done for half of what this office wanted to be paid.