Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

I have a 9 year old with white spots on her teeth.

I have a 9 year old with white spots on her teeth. Dentist said it was probably from a fall while she was young and damaged the root. Well my 4 year old just had an xray and she has root damage on her front two teeth like my other child. The dentist suggested to pull the front two baby teeth and hope we can prevent white spots on her teeth. Then put in the fake teeth looking appliance so she doesn''t have speech problems and to keep the space open for the pemanant teeth. I don''t know what to do. My nine year old is very bothered and kids ask her all of the time what''s wrong with your teeth. So if I could possibly prevent white spots on my 4 year old than that would be great.     Could this be hereditary? Should I do this to my 4 year old?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

You have been misinformed. Falls do not result in these white spots. Falls turn the teeth cark brown, black or pink.

The causes for these white spots are :

1. Enamel Hypoplasia :
this occurs due to a defetct in the production of enamel, due to various reasons like:

- it can be a hereditary condition
- administration of antibiotics to you during pregnancy
-administration of antibiotics to the baby within the first few years of life
- a major illness during pregnancy
- the baby having a high fever within the first few years of life

Hypoplasia can be either a distinct spot on one tooth (sometimes called Turner's tooth, which might have been caused by a trauma or other unknown disturbance to the area during the mineralization of that tooth), or diffuse streaks or cloudy opacities on all the teeth which was some kind of systemic disturbance over a long period of time.

2. Early decay : White spot lesions are the earliest form of tooth decay.
They represent areas of decalcified enamel and sometimes this problem can actually lead to the deterioration of teeth. The tooth’s enamel takes on an opaque color in the area where the cavity is beginning to form.
A god indication of the white spot being decay, is if that if the spots were not there when the tooth erupted and have formed recently, they might be the beginning stages of decay.

3. Fluorosis
: This is the the result of having an excessive intake of fluoride. People who live in areas where drinking water contains a high fluoride level often encounter this problem:

I suggest you consult an experienced pediatric dentist immediately. Pulling teeth isnt going to help to prevent white spots at alll ! You need to get a second opinion ASAP.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.

Good Luck !!!

Regards,
Dr. Behere.

If my answer has helped you, please click on the *ACCEPT* button and give me *POSITIVE FEEDBACK*.

A * BONUS* will be highly appreciated. This tells me that my advice was indeed beneficial.
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience: Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.