Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience:  11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.

Soft tissue gum graft recovery time + kissing post-op

I had a soft tissue graft on one of my top molars 4 days ago. Everything seemed fine until I woke up this morning with my mouth full of blood and a blood clot protruding from the donor site on the palate. I went to my doctor and he removed the clot and it has been fine since. I am wondering how long it will take until the roof o my mouth is healed to the point where it is no longer susceptible to outbreaks like this morning? It doesnt have a perio pac on it and it has disolvable stitches. I am healthy and only 20 so I thought that it would be doing better by now and I''m getting anxious b/c my boyfriend is coming to visit in a few days (1 week post op). Is it safe for me to kiss or does the additional bacteria increase my risk of infection? I havent eaten any solid food and don''t want to until the roof of my mouth heals so please advise me as to when I can expect to improve. Also, I have a bruise on my cheek where the graft was done, is this normal? Thanks!
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 6 years ago.
DearCustomer

Weclome to just answer.

I will answer your query one by one-

1) About your donor site from where the graft was taken-

It will take one week minimum for the superficial healing to take place which will minimize the discomfort. To fasten the healing the best would be to leave that area of palate undisturbed,this is done by giving an acrylic stent to the patient, it is an orthodontic plate which patient is asked to wear for minimum 7 days which reduces th chances of dislogement of blood clots and helps in fastening the healing process. You should go back to your periodontist and ask him to make one for you.

2) Something about your graft and its healing-

Once the grafts are placed superficial healing takes place by 7-10 days. The connective tissue fibers present at the interface between the graft and recipient bed will start organizing from 2nd day and may take several days.The complete healing of a graft of Intermediate thickness is completed by 9-10 weeks whereas Thicker grafts may require about 16 weeks.Functional integration (i.e blending /combining of parts to function as one tissue) of the graft occurs by 17th day, but the Graft is Morphologically distinguishable from the surrounding gum tissue for months.This graft than eventually blends with the adjacent tissues and appears pink,firm and healthy as ones own gum tissue.

3) About the bruise on your cheek-

The bruise which is you see on your cheek corresponding to the the area where graft is placed might have happened while operating on you or while handling soft tissue(cheeks) pulling or pushing movements, There is nothing much to worry about it and it will get better in 2-3 days times as healing progresses, avoid touching it and if it hurts than you can apply oragel on your cheek part which will minimize the discomfort.

4) Your 4th query about the kissing post op + infection:

Kissing will not cause any infection to your site or hamper healing,also you are meeting your boy freind after 7 days on surgery and things are expected to get better by than,avoid forceful tongue movements which might disturb the graft at its site or the site from the palate causing discomfort or slight bleeding.

The best for you will be to get a acrylic stent made by your periodontist which will secure the clot at palate until next coming week.

Maintain excellent oral hygiene whihc is very important for graft healing, use your mouth wash twice daily without dilution and avoid eating hot and solid food until you are absolutely comfortable - you should be fine is another weeks time.

I hope this answers all your questions.Feel free to contact me again if you have doubts and we can discuss it again.

I wish you well!

Take Care

Regards,
Dr.Hans

Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience: 11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.