Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience:  Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.
7707004

Can you get braces if you have capped teeth

I''m a middleaged adult and I had many many old fillings and they were crumbling. I think that my dentist got carried away and I got 3/4 of my teeth capped. I have noticed that my front teeth seem to be protruding out more than they were. I think when I was having some toothaches, that I was pressing on the back of my teeth with my tongue. My dentist did 2 root canals which both failed and I had both teeth extracted. One is the far back top left tooth and the other is the far right bottom. He did double caps over the 2 vacant teeth and I had pain constantly from the bottom one. He finally took it off and did a single cap. I think I was pressing my tongue on the back of my top teeth just to relieve the pain. My top left teeth are pretty straight but the right side is fairly crooked. I just wondered if you have your teeth capped, can you still do orthodontic work?

Dear ,

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

Yes, if you have caps on your teeth you can still have orthodontic treatment. Moving teeth with orthodontics involves bonding small brackets on to the front surface of all the teeth. Then a single thin wire is placed into the groove of all the brackets and tied to place with small rubber elastics. Unfortunately, these brackets do not bond onto the surface of porcelain. To get around this difficulty, any teeth with porcelain caps have a small, thin metal band placed around them that has the bracket attached to the band.

I hope this answers your question. If you would like to discuss this further or have any additional questions, please reply to my answer and I will get right back to you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX DDS