Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience:  11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.
8847979

My wife has an eye tooth that just hangs and wiggles.

My wife has an eye tooth that just hangs and wiggles. It''s been that way for a little while. She can''t get in till a month from now. It does not hurt, just makes it hard to eat. Her gums are way up with the gaps at the top of the teeth at gum line. Anyway, can we just pull this out or not. She is 49 years.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

It is not advisable to pull any tooth by oneself..As this tooth may appear to be loose but it is still attached to periodontal ligament down underneath.

The looseness of the tooth is caused by the swelling of the ligament that surrounds the root of the tooth. (The ligament is like a very sheer sock. The inside of the sock is attached to the root of the tooth, and the outside of the sock is attached to the bone). You can see that the length of the roots that are embedded in the bone is very great, and even if the tooth feels a bit wobbly, it is not likely to pull out of the bone, even if you give a great & fast movement to it.

If she tries to do so,there are chances that he might still leave some part behind and any attempt made to pull it can injure the soft tissue attachments thereby causing more pain and bleeding. The top is more likely to break off leaving the roots still in place & you will have seek a dentists assisatance to pull them out surgically for you. Finally, if you attempt to remove the tooth and fail in the attempt, the infection that has caused all the pain is likely to spread and cause a massive problem.

I will still advise you to seek a professionals help for her. If there is any urgent need and the pain or discomfort increases, you can call an emergency dentist for help. Look in the web yellow pages for emergency dental care.

http://yellowpages.com

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.

Good Luck !!!

Regards,

Dr.Hans

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr.Hans's Post: I mean the tooth is hanging by a thread. I wiggles by just shaking Her head?
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer

Thank you for the response, the additional information and your patience.

It occurs to me that her eye tooth is very loose ( as you say it wiggles ) and is already out of the socket & with this amount of mobility (of the tooth) there are less chances that it will secure its position back into the socket.

So ,the best would be to pull this tooth out.

As it hurts her while she eats and is hampering her masticatory functions, the best would be to get it removed as early as possible. Call your dentist for an early appointment this will avoid any further increase & severity in pain and discomfort for her.

I wish you well!

Regards,

Dr.Hans