Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.

why does the back of my tongue smell like a dead rat

I have bad breath and sometimes it smells like a dead rat other times it is just bad. i have tried colon cleasing, breath rx, all kinds of mouth wash and toothpaste, I floss everytime i eat, i rinse twice a day, and i scrap my tongue, i eat lots of fruits and vegetables, i get plenty of rest, sometimes i take nyquil gel caps or asprins, i smoke, i drink water, ice tea and lemonade,i have been to several doctors and have been tested for bacteria and they all came up negative. my son says i don''t have bad breath but that''s because he doesn''t want to hurt my feelings. i work for a corrections center and the inmates are just ruthless and mean. i am a 51 year old black women and i also wear partial dentures that i brush every time i brush my real teeth and soak with efferdent every night all night.i am lazy though. what is wrong with me? i have spent a small fortune on gums and mints.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

About 85% of bad breath cases result from oral conditions. A variety of systemic and extra-oral conditions account for the remainder.

the cause in your case I think lies somewhere else in the body.

I advise you to get :

Nasal or pulmonary foreign bodies, bronchiectasis,anaerobic lung abscess,food trapped in a Zenker's diverticulum,gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and hiatal hernia

all ruled out.

Severe dieting can also lead to halitosis. Dieters may develop unpleasant "fruity" breath from ketoacidosis, the breakdown of chemicals during fasting.

A worse odor through the nose suggests nasal or sinus etiology. Similar odor through both nose and mouth suggests a systemic or pulmonary cause.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne : Get all the above causes checked out !

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.

I wish you a speedy recovery !!!

Dr. Behere.

If my answer has helped you, please click on the *ACCEPT* button and give me *POSITIVE FEEDBACK*.

A * BONUS* will be highly appreciated. This tells me that my advice was indeed beneficial.