Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience:  11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.

I fell and hit my mouth. My teeth are loose and sore.

I fell and hit my mouth. My teeth are loose and sore. What should I do?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 8 years ago.

Welcome to just answer.

I am sorry to hear about your pain and discomfort.

I would like you get them evaluated by dentist as soon as possible & get an x-ray & pulp vitality tests done with the same. This is to ensure that the injury/trauma or loosening of your teeth has not infected the pulp of these teeth( i.e has not damaged the pulp.)

If your tooth are just slightly loose in their socket & the pulp is not injured, it will take minimum 6 - 8 weeks or more (depending upon the severity of the blow) to get back to its position in the socket (and depends on individuals healing capacity also).

To promote faster healing and to reduce any discomfort or pain caused by the blow, the best for you will be to get Splinting done with your teeth.Splinting is a process where the teeth are joined together with the adjacent teeth,to increase their strength.See the links:

If the pulp of the involved tooth is injured than you might have to go for root canal procedure to save them followed by splinting these teeth (as mentioned above)

To lessen the soreness you can apply ice packs on the affected areas, & take any otc anti-inflammatory medicine such as ibuprofen.

I hope this answers all your questions. Feel free to contact me again for any doubts and I will be happy to explain in detail again.