Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience:  11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.

Are teeth that are easily broken off, at the gum line, a ...

Are teeth that are easily broken off, at the gum line, a possible symptom of cancer? This is not a chronic condition-it suddenly began to happen. Two teeth snapped off at the gumline of a 78 year old man. He is also beginning to experience ED and has developed a lump under the skin of his upper nose.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

Since how long is having this lump?How big is it?

The teeth which broke off, were they loose?

By ed do you mean Erectile dysfunction?

Is there any other discomfort or swelling or pain inside his mouth?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem.

Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The lump is probably three months old. It is a swollen area about 1/2 in diameter and 1/4 inch in height. It is not discolored or feverish. It is on the left nostril towards the eye.

I do not think the teeth were loose, other than the looseness that would be associated with aging. They snapped off at the gumline, once when he was eating an ear of corn.

Yes, ed is erectile dysfunction--may not be related, of course.

He sez no, but he also has an extremely high tolerance for pain. In apparently very good health, other than a spleenectomy ten years ago.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I recall a young woman years ago who had breast cancer whose teeth also begin breaking off. She did die of the disease. That is what caught my attention when his teeth snapped like that--in addition to the swelling on his nose.
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your fast response and additional information.

I would like to tall you something before i answer your actual query.

Teeth breaking at gum line while eating are not a symptom or oral cancer

They can break as they become brittle as one ages and even when someone bites on something hard they can break off due to biting force and pressure.

Although teeth being loose from the socket is one the symptom of oral cancer (which is why i asked you for clarifications) and one can see entire tooth coming out of the socket and this effects many teeth with in no time.Read more about the symptoms here:

So to rule out such a big disease on this one symptom alone won’t be fair enough!!

Coming to the swelling on his nose:

Any lump or lesion in the body that doesn't heal own its with 3-4 weeks time should be well diagnosed,properly evaluated and biopsied.I am sorry i wont be able to guide you much on it as it out of dental issue, but you should get it evaluated by a physician as early as possible.

hope this answers your question. Please feel free to contact me again if you have any doubts and i will glad to reply to you.