Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience:  11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.
8847979

Can I have a permanent filling placed in a tooth that may ...

Can I have a permanent filling placed in a tooth that may need roor canal. Temp filling in now with no problems.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer
Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

Have you been indicated a root canal treatment for this particular tooth? or did he tell you that cavity is deep?

Since when are you haveing this temporary filling?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem.
Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was told that cavity is deep. I already have a temporary filling. Root canal recommended, I just dont think its necessary and that a permanent filling would last at least a few years.
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 6 years ago.
DearCustomerbr />

Thank you for you additional information and response.

If the cavity is deep but there is no pain or discomfort, you can get the permanent filling done and wait a while.Instead of going for the root canal straight away, it might be worthwhile to wait for some time. This remedy will work best for you the time being.

The best would be to ask your dentist to use a Base before putting the filling material.This base protects the underlying pulp from any further irritation.

Pulp protection using bases and liners are necessary due to the inability of the existing restorative materials and techniques to provide a long term hermetic seal around the final restorative materials.

But you must undergo periodic checking (say once in six months or if this tooth painful again) by your dentist and get this tooth regularly evaluated.

This can be done by vitality tests by an instrument called Electric pulp Tester, which should be done from time to time and also by the radio-graphs(Xray),

Periodic checking is necessary to confirm maintenance of pulp protection vitalityand function, this applies especially to the ones with deep restorations.

I hope this answers your question.Feel free to contact me again if you have any Query and we can discuss it again.

Regards

Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience: 11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.