Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

Do I need a root canal before permanent crown TIMELINE, ...

Customer Question

Do I need a root canal before permanent crown? TIMELINE, History:1)routine dental exam in Feb2008 showed cavity. 2)Dentist (competent) filled decayed area with non-metal (white) filling. 3) Soon (day or 2) after gum area was sore, particularly when I ate. Got progressively worse-tooth and nearby gum sore when eating. 4)Back to Dentist-says I need cap/crown. Tooth still bad after temp crown. then HUGE toothache.
Dentist says penicillin, then I will need root canal. Pain relieved after 10-day antibiotic routine (May 30 end).5)Tooth still somewhat sensitive when chewed on. Perm crown coming soon. QUESTION: Do I need a route-canal BEFORE perm crown now that tooth seems well behaved???What if I do not get root-canal, just the crown?? Will toothache return??
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

Firstly, thanks for writing the "timeline" ! I wish more patients described their problems like you have.

To answer your query very simply, YES. You do require a root canal before a permanent crown. Sensitivity after placement of white fillings in back teeth is not uncommon. This occurence due to some inadeqacy in the way the filling was done. it might also be due to the fact, that the tooth needed the root canal in the first place.

I would have felt a lot happier, had i read the word" X ray" in your time line somewhere. That is the most reliable method of determining whther a tooth needs a root canal in the first place.

Going for a permanent crown without a root canal could be fraught with danger. Already, the nerves of the tooth have been irritated. If the tooth starts to "misbehave" after the crown is done, then the crown will have to be removed and a root canal done. The crown then might not fit back on again, and you might have to go in for a new crown.

And lastly, antibiotics are definately not subsitutes for root canals !!!

Seeing all that has already happened, I would advise you to change your dentist ASAP !!

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.

Good Luck !!!

Regards,
Dr. Behere.

If my answer has helped you, please click on the *ACCEPT* button and give me *POSITIVE FEEDBACK*.

A * BONUS* will be highly appreciated. This tells me that my advice was indeed beneficial.
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience: Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Behere's Post: X ray was used to discover original decay/cavity!

Thanks for responding.

By routine dental examination I asumed that you did not mean an X ray.

If the white filling was done after an X ray, then I am all the more compelled to urge you to take a second opinion from an experienced Endodontist.

I wish you a speedy recovery !!!

Regards,
Dr. Behere.