Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience:  Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.

Is desensitizing a necessary treatment with a filling for a cavity

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. George McKee replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

It depends on the situation. Are you having a deep decay filled soon? What tooth is involved and what is the desensitizing material that is going to be used?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. George McKee's Post: They didn't give me that information. I have a sneaky suspicion that this is a way for them to charge me something that insurance doesn't cover. Without full x-rays and just a 5 minute exam, the dentist told me that I have 7 cavities, 2 of them are 2 surface charges, and each one needs this $51 treatment. I think I'm going to get a second opinion. I think that I take pretty good care of my teeth. It has been a while since I've been to the dentist, but this seems a little much.

Dear ,

Thanks for the additional information. That paints a clear picture for me of the situation. Your suspicions are correct. We routinely do NOT place a desensitizing material in a filling. I wasn't sure if you were referring to placing a base material under a filling when the decay is particularly large and then again, this is not a routine procedure either. To say that all your fillings will need this treatment is a way to get more money in their pockets. I would suggest getting a copy of your full set of X-rays and getting another opinion, and then go to that dentist as I am sure you will get a much more realistic treatment plan and estimate.

I hope you find this information helpful. If you have any concerns regarding this issue that I have not addressed, please let me know and I will get back to you with more information.

George McKee DDS

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you!