Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.

Can an untreated dry socket cause an infection

No Comment Added
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

In Dry Socket, the extraction socket does not heal on time, and a gaping hole is seen for a few weeks. This is because the extracton site fails to heal on time. There is no definative treatment as such for dry socket.

A Dry Socklet is essentially a clean wound that is not infected.

But if the extraction site is not kept clean/ in cases of bad oral hygiene, secondary infection may occur.

Patience is the key. Till you can visit your dentist,Avoid hot, spicy and hard foodstuff. Take more of cold, sweet and soft food.

Whn you do visit your dentist, have a zinc-oxide eugenol based dressing placed in your extraction socket. This would have to be reviewed periodically and changed if required.

Have a look at this excellent resource for post extraction complications:

You could consider starting Ketorolac, which is a stronger analgesic, which would bring about adequate pain relief.

You can learn more about Ketorol at

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.

I wish you a speedy recovery !!!

Dr. Behere.

If my answer has helped you, please click on the *ACCEPT* button and give me *POSITIVE FEEDBACK*.

A * BONUS* will be highly appreciated. This tells me that my advice