Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience:  11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.

can you get a partial denture for a upper back tooth if you ...

can you get a partial denture for a upper back tooth if you wear crowns
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 6 years ago.
DearCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

Yes, you can get the partial dentures made.

You can either get Removable partial denture made or you can opt for Fixed partial dentures.

I would like to tell you that if you have single tooth missing adjacent to the ones covered by crowns than you are the right candidate for fixed partial dentures/bridges. These dentures are made to take support from adjacent natural teeth by placing crowns on adjacent teeth (where you already have crowns).

Fixed partial denture/bridges can replace the missing teeth with artificial teeth, looks great, and literally bridges the gap where one or more teeth may have been. The restoration can be made from gold, alloys, porcelain or a combination of these materials and is bonded onto surrounding teeth( crowns) for support.

Read more about them here in the links:

Link 1

Link 2

I hope this answers your questions. Feel free to contact me again if you have doubts and we can discuss it again.

Regards

Dr.Hans

Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience: 11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
but where I will need the partial is for the two upper back teeth.. that last two. so there will be open space at the back of my upper jaw. Doesn't it need a tooth in the back to clasp on to?
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 6 years ago.
DearCustomer

Thank you for your response.

Can i ask you few more questions?.

How many teeth are missing in the upper arch? and which ones?
Are they the last two??

Do you want to get removable partial denture made or fixed partial denture for the missing teeth?

Please relpy as soon as possible, so that we can finish your answer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, the last two teeth on my upper right jaw. There is a bridge there now. A crown then the bridge tooth attached to the last tooth. But I had a root canal done on the very last tooth on my upper jaw, that is part of a bridge. But the root canal is failing due to a fracture up thru the root of that tooth. So it goes like this...a crown then the bridge tooth then a crown. The crown attatched to the bridge in the farthest back is the one the root canal was done on. I don't believe it is working and may have to come out. I fear implants and was wondering if a partial would work. What is better ?? a partial or fixed?
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 6 years ago.
DearCustomer

Got it!...and Thank you for your response again.

If this is the case, than i would not advise you to go for fixed partial denture /bridge because it wont be long lasting as now the support is taken only from one natural tooth and the other one adjacent to the root canaled failed tooth is the bridge, so it wont be able to bear the occlusal and mastication stresses and it will hamper the periodontal conditions in long run.

Removable Partial Denture will surely work in your case, and support can be taken from the bridged tooth which lies ahead of it i.e with the clasp....

Other than this, you can also go for Cast partial dentures which has cast (metal alloys) frame work and clasps are not used in this case.

Regards

Dr.Hans

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so the crown closest to the front of my mouth will just get the bridge connecting it sawed off and the bridge tooth will be sawed off too and the last tooth supporting the bridge ,the one where the root canal is failing, will be extracted and then the partial put on?? ?
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 6 years ago.
Can you tell me which are these teeth.. so that i can explain in a better way? Molars, premolars??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't know what they're called....they are the last three upper teeth on the right. They form a bridge. A crown, a middle tooth (fake), then the last crown. These are all one piece, a bridge. But the very last crown connecting the bridge had a root canal that had a fracture in the root, so it's failing. So if it;s extracted, the bridge will no longer have the back tooth to be attached to. So I will have two missing teeth in the very back. Will a partial still work with this situation?
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 6 years ago.
DearCustomer

Thank you so much for your patience and response.

So you have 2nd last molar- failed root canal ( which will do for extraction now)

Teeth ahead of it i.e 1st molar which is the fake tooth.

And the one in front of it is the 1st premolar that has a crown.

So, in your situation Partial will work for you i.e you will have to get the last two teeth replaced with partial and it can be attached to the tooth which has crown.

In your situation the best will be to go for Cast Partial Dentures which will have strong metal framework made up of extremely srong alloy called chrome cobalt , they very thin and are stronger than plastic(acrylic material) and it will also avoid unnecessary placement of the clasps.

I hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again if you have doubts and we can discuss it again.

Regards

Dr.Hans

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
one last concern....will the crowned tooth be strong enough to support the partial? last question I promise.
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 6 years ago.
DearCustomer

You can ask me as many questions you want and we can discuss it till the time you get your answer and you are satisfied.I am really happy to answer the queries for you! :)

Coming to your concern, yes, the crowned tooth will be strong enough to support this Removable partial and there is nothing to worry!

It is only the Fixed/ Bridge which are not advisable in such a condition.

Regards

Dr.Hans

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok..last one...and the partial will keep my mouth healthy... keep teeth aligned and prevent bone loss? or no??
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 6 years ago.
DearCustomer

Thank you for your response.

Yes, if you maintain proper oral hygiene, brush and floss properly you will have no bone loss or periodontal problems.

Also the partial will function as good as your missing teeth and it will keep the teeth alinged and in proper positions

It will also maintain proper occlusion and balance with teeth in opposite arches.

So, when properly fabricated and maintained it will be as good as your own natural teeth.I would like to you consult a psothdontist for this work.
You can find the prosthodontist nearest you by following this link:

http://www.prosthodontics.org/patients/find.asp

Regards,

Dr.Hans

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
and there is no surgery or aneststic needed to get a partial? thank you . I will leave good fb after this last answer.
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 6 years ago.
DearCustomerbr />

No, nothing at all is required.No surgery , no anasthetics...

Please leave a feedback, i will be really greatful to you.;)

Regards,

Dr.Hans