Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience:  Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.

i had a tooth removed and now it feels itchy and slightly ...

Customer Question

i had a tooth removed and now it feels itchy and slightly painful around the area
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. George McKee replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

How long ago did you have the tooth removed?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. George McKee's Post: 16th may at 2.30pm
Dear ,

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

It is not unusual to still have some
pain after an extraction just four days after surgery. Although the hole may appear to be closed up by now, it takes up to 6 weeks for your body to convert the blood clot that remains in the socket to new gum and bone. As long as your pain gradually diminishes, things are healing normally. The itchy sensation is a sign of healing as well. This is similiar to the itchy feeling you get when superficial skin wounds heal and form a scab.

However, if the pain starts to increase and becomes intense, this is a sign of a dry socket. Dry sockets usually occur around the third day of healing so you are probably past the time that this might happen. If you do get a dry socket, you need to visit your dentist who will place a medicated dressing in the extraction site that will bring immediate pain relief. The fact that you have the itchy sensation along with the slight pain suggests that you are not getting a dry socket.

Continue to take and over the counter medications for pain and realize that you are still early on in the healing process. Avoid vigorous brushing in the area and avoid eating hard foods over the area.

I hope this answers your question. If you would like to discuss this further or have any additional questions, please reply to my answer and I will get right back to you.