Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience:  11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.
8847979

MY DENTIST RECOMMENDS TO EXTRACT THE #15 MOLAR. (IT HAS ...

MY DENTIST RECOMMENDS TO EXTRACT THE #15 MOLAR. (IT HAS LOST BONE SIGNIFICANTLY DUE TO GUM DISEASE) I NEED TO DECIDE BETWEEN 1)LEAVE THE EMPTY SPACE AFTER EXTRACTION 2) REPLACE IT WITH A DENTAL IMPLANT.
MY DENTIST TOLD ME I CAN LEAVE IT ALONE SINCE I HAVE #14 FOR CHEWING,
THE LOWER TOOTH(#18) MIGHT ERUPT SINCE THERE IS NO MATCHING TOOTH BUT CAN WEAR A NIGHT GUARD. WAHT DO YOU SUGGEST?
DearCustomerbr />
Welcome to just answer.

I would really suggest you get this missing tooth i.e 15 replaced with either bidge work(as it is less expensive) or implants with bone grafts.Yes you can very well get the extraction and bone graft at same time.

It is not wise and appropiate to leave any empty space of the missing tooth unattended. This can cause other teeth to drift ahead and also in your case lower tooth 18 might Supraerupt. This will happen as the opposing tooth will have no contact while occlusion.

Also as wee have two molars on each side ..the need of second one would not have arised if we could just worked well with one.Molars bear all the forces of mastication and are the most functional and essential teeth in the oral cavity.

Eruption forces sometimes play a role in its etiology as there is some tooth movement taking place throughout the age,The drifting teeth become crooked and misaligned making them more prone to decay because they are harder to keep clean.Also a missing tooth sequale can number of problems , can also effect your jaws, can also give you headaches, etc.

Look at the link: (this will give you an insight on a missing tooth in the oral cavity in general, do read consequences of missing teeth)

http://www.gumsurgery.com/tooth_drifting.htm

So, i believe if you can you should get the tooth replaced!

I hope this answers all your questions.Feel free to contact me again if you have doubts and we can discuss it

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid.
This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed.Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

Take care!!

Thanks