Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience:  11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.

I have a hard blue/purple lump the size of a pea near the ...

I have a hard blue/purple lump the size of a pea near the tip of my tongue for more than a year now that seems to be larger some days than others. It is visible both on the top surface of my tongue as well as the bottom and is moderately painful when it is "larger" and not at all when it has "receded". I do not believe it is related to injury (biting) or a specific food or any other event I can determine. It just appeard one day. Obviously, I brought it to the attention of my dentist but he did not tell me what it was and suggested I "come in when it''s bothering me". Having written that just now, I realize how absurd that is and I should probably find a new dentist! Anyway, what does this lump sound like to you? Thank you.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

From what you describe I see a possibility of it being a Mucocele,

Mucoceles are painless and they can happen when a salivary gland is injured or blocked.Mucoceles can occur at various places including the on the anterior ventral of the tongue, they can also occur under the tongue and are called as Ranula.

Oral ranula may complain of swelling of the floor of the mouth that is usually painless. The mass may interfere with speech, mastication, and swallowing because of the upward and medial displacement of the tongue and results in pain.

I would like you to read these excellent article on mucoceles and Ranula:

There is nothing much to worry!

Mostly these resolve on there own, it can take few weeks to few years also,

If in case they pose any problems or pain in future to you the best would be to consult an oral surgeon and get them excised.

It will be a simple and minor surgical procedure and this can be done in a single sitting in his office.

I hope this answers all your questions.Feel free to contact me again if you have doubts and we can discuss it

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid.
This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed.Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

Take care!!