Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience:  Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.
7707004

i have false teeth but have got toothache and it is ...

Customer Question

i have false teeth but have got toothache and it is travelling up my face and making my botXXXXX XXXXXp numb could it be a abcsess ?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. George McKee replied 6 years ago.
DearCustomer

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

If you are totally edentulous, That is, have no teeth at all, Then most likely your denture is pressing on the nerve that supplies feeling to your lower lip. It is not fitting properly and needs to be evaluated by your dentist. There could also be an ulceration in your mouth, that looks like an abscess, but is just the pressure point from your ill fitting denture.

I hope this answers your question. If you would like to discuss this further or have any additional questions, please reply to my answer and I will get right back to you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX DDS

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dr. George McKee's Post: i have a full set of dentures have no ulcers or breaks in my gums and have had no trouble with my dentures before the pain is getting worse and is shooting up my face
Dear dee dee 18,

Thanks for the additional information. You do not necessarily have to have the ulcerations to have a pressure spot on the denture. If you had a significant amount of bone loss before you had your dentures, or have worn dentures for a long time, the lower tooth nerve, which normally is encased in this bone, becomes superficial and resided just under the tissue layer. The hard acrylic of the denture puts pressure on this nerve and causes all sorts of numbness and pain. You can try leaving your lower denture out for several hours and see if this relieves the pain. Your dentist can refit your denture to avoid this pressure spot. This is the most likely thing that is causing your pain

The only other thing this could be is a residual root tip that was left behind from an extraction that is now flaring up. A full panoramic X-ray would confirm or deny this possibility and would also detect any bone growth or abnormalities that you might have.
I strongly recommend you see your dentist for a full diagnosis tomorrow. I hope this helps.