Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience:  11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.
8847979

I have a dry socket and my dressing has fallen out... It ...

I have a dry socket and my dressing has fallen out... It will be mid-day tomorrow before I can get a new dressing installed... Should I be on soft foods until it heals more or gets re-dressed? What can i do for pain? how long should this discomfort last?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 8 years ago.
DearCustomer

Welcome to just answer.

I am really sorry to here about your discomfort and pain.

I feel you should do both - get the dressing replaced once more ,and have soft diet/food for sometime and also start taking effective Painkillers medicines for fast pain relief.

Get it Re- dressed once again tomorrow ,may be as it was not done properly this time ,therefore it could not act well and help in easing your pain, ideally when properly placed it should remain there for a day or so and should not fall out.

I would like to tell you that the packing that your dentists uses has special medication such as Iodoform in it which not available as otc drug this medication helps in reducing pain and promotes better healing.

Other than this for pain you should also start with Painkiller medicines.A very good way to control dental pain using the over the counter medications is to switch between taking 400illigrams of Ibuprofen( 2 tablets of advil) and 1000 milligrams of acetaminophen (tylenol) every 3 hours. Read ore about tylenol here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tylenol

Also you should take Soft Diet such as pastas, porridge ,clear soups etc. as they are easy to digest and also soft foods will not leave any residuals behind, therefore less chances of food debris accumulating at the extraction site as it is very important to keep this site clean. The cleaner it is the faster it heals! You can gradually add solid foods to your diet as healing progresses,till than as you are in pain take a soft diet.

Your pain should ease soon i.e you will feel better in few days by all these remedies but complete healing will take place in about a week or so.

Here is a link that will tell you more about dry sockets and its management:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dry-socket/DS00778/DSECTION=1

I hope this answers all your questions.Feel free to contact me again if you have doubts and we can discuss it in detail.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid.
This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed.Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

I wish you a speeedy recovery!
Take care.

Thanks!