Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience:  11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.

I have tooth pain and a bad taste in my mouth. Dentist gave ...

I have tooth pain and a bad taste in my mouth. Dentist gave me a guard to keep from grinding my teeth, still have symptoms, any ideas? I take ambien cr, any relationship ?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

Does the tooth which aches has caries ?Is it infected?

Since how long to do have this bad taste in your mouth?

Do you also feel that your mouth is dry at times?

Since how long have you been taking Ambien cr?

Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have aching in my top front teeth and bottom also. The dentist checked gums, mouth and etc. He gave me the gringing guard on Friday. I have ben taking the ambien for about 3 months. My mouth does not really feel dry. This situation has been for about a week.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Did you receive additional information that you requested?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what additional information do you need?
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 8 years ago.

Welcome to just answer and thanks for your response and patience.

The tooth ache is because of the grinding habit, and as you have a mouth guard now..things will get better soon.

I am also sure that if these teeth had caries or infection your dentist must have noticed them. Tooth decay or infection also results in bad taste in the mouth.Trapped food particles between the teeth, tooth decay or gum disease all encourage the growth of growth of bacterial organisms and make the taste worse.

There has been no reported incidence of Ambien causing bad taste in the mouth.Though there has been reports resulting in nausea.Check the following links to know the various side effects of Ambien:

So i really donot feel that your teeth grinding or gum condition is causing this bad taste.

As you have been having this bad taste in your mouth only since a week i feel there is nothing much to worry about it.

The chemistry inside your mouth is always in a delicate state of balance--and sometimes you can't be sure exactly what has upset it!

Sometimes if you are allergic to specific food,the food can often be detected even in extremely small amountsand these Food allergies can also cause bad taste in mouth.

I would recommend you to start using a mouth wash which will help you.You can use a mouth wash containing listerine or chlorehexidine.Use it twice daily ,once in the morning after brushing and second time in the night before going to bed.You will see the improvement in few days. Read more about there usage here:

Other than this brush your teeth twice daily and floss regularly ,sometimes impacted food particles also cause this bad breadth.

Also clean your tongue with the help of a tongue scapper.Tongue coatings can also cause bad breath.

You can also chew a chewing gum containing Xylitol, It is a natural sugar substitute that inhibits the growth of bacteria in the mouth and will also improve the taste of your mouth.

I hope this answers all your questions.Feel free to contact me again if you have doubts and we can discuss it

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid.
This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed.Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

Take care!!