Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience:  11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.
8847979

i have a wisdom tooth that is rotten, broken and lose ive ...

Customer Question

i have a wisdom tooth that is rotten, broken and lose ive tried gently pulling it out, but it doesnt seem like it wants to come, im sure i can pull it, but im afraid of the pain, if the root gets exposed will i be in a lot of pain, if its rotten does that mean the root is dead, i have no dental insurance and theres no dentist open on sunday
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 6 years ago.
DearCustomer

Welcome to just answer.

I am sorry to here about your pain and discomfort

Your lack of dental insurance does not forbit you or stop you from seeing a dentist.There are very few dentists who are actually bounded by or those who work for these insurances,other than these dentists the rest will be willing to treat you.

First of all donot panic or worry so much,nothing will go wrong in a days time..
Donot try to pull the teeth outside by yourself.You might injure the socket which can result in uncontrolled bleeding.

Rotten tooth doesnot always indicate that the nerves are also exposed.Any decay which inhabits the pulp and causes pulp necrosis causes the nerves inside the tooth to die.This dying tooth has can be saved by root canal therapy if it is possible,else its better to pull the tooth out.An xray by your dentist can confirm it for you.

Wisdom teeth always cause this pain and discomfort.In any case whether there nerve is dead or they are carious its just best to get them pulled out.

This is because during the course of evolution from apes to man our jaw sizes have decreased, Our wisdom tooth no longer play any functional role in our oral cavity and often remain impacted or partially erupted, as a result of which we often feel discomfort and pain or even if they fuuly erupt they are ore prone to caries /decay as this area in the oral cavity is difficult to clean.So its best to get them removed if they pose any trouble!
.

Wisdom teeth's site is difficult to clean,they are more prone to infection as bacterial products accumulate there which are difficult to remove with regular/brushing flossing,These bacteria percolate the gum tissue surrounding the tooth release toxins initiates an inflammatory reaction and that the area gets infected giving rise to pain and swelling,This starts with a soft tissue swelling and contiunes to underine the tissue surfaces therby causing decay.So,its just best to get them pulled out!

As, you are in lot of pain you can take the following medicines..A very good way to control Dental pain using the Over the Counter medicines is to switch between taking 400 mgs of Ibuprofen and 1000mgs of Acitaminophen(Tylenol) every 3 hours.

Read ore about tylenol here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tylenol

Here is something else,that can be done for instant relief:

1) You can try 'Toothache Drops' available at pharmacy.

2) Application of Clove Oil to the aching tooth is best to reduce pain. Clove oil contains eugenol which is very soothing to exposed tooth.,Place a drop or two on cotton pellet and place it on the tooth in the cavity/decayed part of the tooth(hole)

Other than this you can also to the following at home,as application of heat sometimes does help to reduce pain,You can start rinsing frequently with hot salt water solution-- dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as you can tolerate without burning the mouth,and rinse for two minutes every four hours, this will provide you relief.

Also avoid eating, hot, spicy and hard food.Donot brush hard or chew hard foods from that area. Keep that area clean and free from food particles.

Other than all this,visit your dentist as early as possible and get the tooth properly evaluated and get get it extracted.You will have to get in touch with a skilled dentistt/prefferably an oral surgeon as early as possible.

As you told that you donot have dental insurance,you can try the following avenues and see if they work for you(this is for future help)

1.Try to contact your local dental state association for help.They can guide to find charitable organizations that charge less fees. Here is the lnik for the contact address of Arizona Dental society:

http://www.ada.org/ada/organizations/orgdetail.asp?OrganizationID=890

2.You can also contact a dental school nearby you,treatment rendered here is less expensive as compared to private dentists.Treatment is provided by dental students under the supervision of there skilled teachers and supervisors.Here in the link :

http://www.dentalsite.com/dentists/densch.html

3) Dental discount plans can also be a great help to you.These plans can be beneficial if you don't have a dental insurance or if in case you don't qualify for it.

There are various plan options for you to choose from,.The membership fee for an year ranges from 99$ to 149$.Have a look at the link,to choose the best possible plan that suits you.

http://www.dentalplans.com/dentalplans/index.asp

I hope this answers all your questions.Feel free to contact me again if you have doubts and we can discuss it

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid.
This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed.Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

Take care!!

Thanks

Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience: 11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so even if the tooth is almost out of the socket( i can move it very freely) i should not pull it out?
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 6 years ago.
DearCustomerbr />
I will still advise you to seek a proffesional help as soon as possible
It is for your health and safety i am telling you to do so.

Even if the tooth is free to move it has soft tissue attachment with the socket which you wont be able to pull out by yourself. If you try to do so,there are chances that you might just leave a part of the tooth/root behind that sticks to the sof tissues.
Also you said the tooth is broken and decayed,this really calls for a proffesional guidance.

I would rather suggest you to contact an ER room in nearby hospital if there is an emergency and if you feel you can not wait till tommorrow morning.
Till than just try to aviod using or touching that side and do the follwing i stated in above post.

I am telling you this for your safety and concern,a proffesional help is must for you!!

Take care!!

Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you very much. are you single
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 6 years ago.
DearCustomerbr />
I am glad i could help you.

Yes,i am single so far!

Thanks!!

Take care

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX are drop dead gorgeouse
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 6 years ago.
DearCustomerbr />
Thanks for the compliment ,accept and bonus! i will appreciate a positive feedback if possible!

I wish you well !

Take Care