Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience:  11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.
8847979

what could it mean if you have pain under a crown.

Customer Question

what could it mean if you have pain under a crown. I've had this crown for about 1 1/2, it fell out one time and it really had a bad oder. The dentist had cleaned it. Now I'm having the same problems with pain and there's a slight opening, which the crown seems like it's not fitting correctly. I've been having a slight problem, like a pressure {sinus area}, and I don't have sinus problems, but just curious could it be that the tooth has either bacteria, decayed or it needs a root canal. Thank you
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 9 years ago.
DearCustomerbr />
Welcome to just answer.

I am really sorry to here about your discomfort.

Pain and slight opening around the crown area indicates that your crown is an ill fitting one.There can be the following reasons for it:

- It can also be due to Improper Placement of the Crown.

- There is possibility that the Cement used to seal the crown along the gum margin did not seal the crown well.

- There can also be Leakage of the Cement from the site which makes the crown loose.

- Even an ILL Fitting Crown which is not well fabricated ,not properly made (lack in perfect size or fit), can also be loose.

In either of the situation ,it can cause seepage of Saliva and other Bacterial products to the tooth structure. Accumulation of plaque or debris can irritate the tissues to great extent and can give you pain.

You should get back to your dentist and get your crown properly placed. I will prefer if you see a Prosthodontist, who are skilled in artificial prosthesis, as your crown has dislodged the second time which is not a good thing!!

Also get the tooth underneath evaluated once, just to check for any decay as these bacterial products can even undermine the tooth surface under the crown, thereby causing caries/decay. An X-ray by your dentist will confirm it for you!

Avoid eating, hot, spicy and hard food. Donot brush hard or chew hard foods from that area.

As you are having pain you can take Tablet Ketorolac which would bring about adequate pain relief.

http://www.rx-market.net/med/ketorol.html
Read more about this drug here.This is a strong analgesic.

Please feel free to ask any questions if you have doubts.I am here to help you till you are satisfied!

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid.
This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed.Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

Take care!!

Thanks