Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience:  11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.
8847979

i have sore right side of my jaw which has been bothering ...

Customer Question

i have sore right side of my jaw which has been bothering me for about a week now.....whenever i try to open my mouth wide or bite down on food it aches......what is going on?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

Have your wisdom tooth erupted or partially erupted or are they still embedded in the jaw bone?

Is there any other tooth on the same side which has decay/caries ?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have no problem with my wisdom teeth or any further decay that i know of in any of my teeth
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thanks for the response.

I would still like to know the status of your wisdon teeth in your oral cavity
Have your wisdom tooth erupted fully or are they partially erupted or are they still embedded in the jaw bone?

Do you have habit of clenching your teeth/night grinding?

Is there any visible swelling inside your mouth on the right side?

Do you also feel your headaches when you wake up in the morning?or earaches?

Does you find difficultiy in opening your mouth, while eat or yawning?

Do you feel
that your teeth no longer touch in their correct positions when you bit or your teeth meet differently from time to time?

Is it the first time you are experiencing these symptoms or has it also happened before?

Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my wisdom teeth are still embedded in the jawbone. that is to say there is nothing abnormal going on with my wisdom teeth. i do not have a habit of grinding or clenching my teeth. There is no evident swelling nor am i experiencing any earaches or headaches. I do have periodic aching of the jaw on the right side when i eat or yawn. I do not feel my teeth have changed position and this is the first time ive experienced any of these symptoms
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 6 years ago.
Dear chbran,

Thanks a lot for your response and patience.I am sorry for the delay and the in convince.

Your explanation and symptoms give an assurance that you don't have Temporomandibular joint disorder symptoms which i was initially worried about.

Your intermittent and frequent jaw pain on one side can be attributed to Myofascial Pain Dysfunction Syndrome(MPDS) or spasm of Masseter muscle.

MPDS pain is associated with musculoskeletal pain.and there can be many reasons for this pain such as poor sleep, inactivity, anxiety and stress.

Have a look at the link:

http://www.clearpassage.com/pain/misc/myofascial.php

Spasm of Masseter muscle- Masseter is the muscle of mastication..And it is works while we chew our food. Often in some individuals it results in pain and discomfort, when over-exrerted. The muscle size also increases during fatigue and it results in sore muscles. This can happen intermittently form time to time and is not necessarily present all the time.

You need Muscle relaxants for pain relief and comfort (along with Anti-inflammatory medicines such as Ibuprofen).

These drug affects skeletal muscle function and decrease the muscle tone thereby reducing pain and fatigue.

Please visit your dentist for site evaluation and these medicines, Your dentist can guide you well by examining your jaw and visualizing the extent of soreness. Also,ask him to demonstrate jaw relaxing exercises for you which can help prevent any muscle fatigue or soreness in future.

Read more about Muscle Relaxents here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_relaxant

http://www.spine-health.com/Treatment/Medications/Medications-Overview/Muscle-Relaxants.htm

You can also take Vitamin C supplements, they will help your body repair connective tissue surrounding the jaw and hasten healing.

Also Try out this at home If you feel pain,You can wrap an ice pack in a towel and hold it against your jaw for 20 minutes.Repeat it as often as possible to help ease the soreness.If the pain persists for more than 36 hours, use heat pack instead of cold pack the same way..Heat increases blood flow to injured tissues and help them heal.

Also avoid chewing hard food or biting hard on your right side of the jaw.Stick to a soft diet.

Avoid Coffee ,colas,tea.they contain caffine which increases muscle tensions

I hope this answers all your queries,Feel free to contact me again if you have doubts and we can discuss it.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid.
This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed.Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

Take care!!

Regards

Dr.suruchii