Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

My teeth are becoming see-thru. The bottom third of all of ...

My teeth are becoming see-thru. The bottom third of all of them andstarting to creep up the inner sides of my top front two teeth. Is there anything I can do about this that is not cosmetic? I''ve recently bought Crest Healthy Radiance and some ACT rinse for rebuilding...will these work?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

From what you describe, the outer enamel covering of your teeth is wearing down. At an advanced age, this may be considered as normal and physiological, called attrition.

At your age, it is not normal, and is called abrasion.

Crest Healthy Radiance as well as the ACT rinse are both fluoride containing products. Unfortunately, they cannot rebuild the enamel that has been lost. Loss of enamel is a irreversible process.

What the fluoride does, is change the chemical composition of the tooth, making it more resistant to furthur loss of enamel.

Therefore, the products you are using, may not reverse your situation and get it back to normal, but they will surely will be helpful in preventing furthur damage.

For corrective measures, I recommend that you see a dentist without any more delay.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.

I wish you a speedy recovery !!!

Regards,
Dr. Behere.

If my answer has helped you, please click on the *ACCEPT* button and give me *POSITIVE FEEDBACK*.

A * BONUS* will be highly appreciated. This tells me that my advice was indeed beneficial.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What would you recommend? Since you cannot rebuild the enamel is there anything that is not too drastic to help the teeth not look see-thru?

Thanks for responding.

I would like to tell you, that "drastic" would be the wrong word to use. A dentist will just scopp out the decay ( if any) give a particular shape to the tooth, and gently place tooth coloured material which will bond to the remaining enamel, thereby restoring it to the original size.

There is no injections, pain, bleeding, stitches etc involved.

Please do not be afraid, it is really a simple short and easy procedure.

You only have your scpetical mindset standing between you and a healthy and beautiful smile !!

Good luck !

Regards,
Dr. Behere.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Okay...there is no decay they are merely getting a little see-thru sort of blueish hue. So there is nothing to scoop out. It almost looks like the loss of more solid white is on the inside of the tooth not on the outside.
Yes, I sort of expected that. That doesnt change the treatment required, dont worry. Although there is no decay, some space will have to be created for the new material to be placed in.

The procedure still stays very simple !

Good Luck !

Regards,
Dr. Behere.