Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

I have pain between my gum and cheek at the top of my mouth ...

Customer Question

Not, sure if this is a question for a dentist or
I have pain between my gum and cheek at the top right side of my mouth in the back where my molars are(no tooth pain!). Its actually on the jaw bone i think its causing pain in my jaw/face. My jaw inside my mouth seems to be a bit swollen compared to the other side. The skin in my mouth at the jaw bone (in back) feels smoother and dryer. there is a bump on my cheek next the bone that is fleshed colored and looks like there may be a tiny hole in it. the pain like i said is at the bone its very tender to touch (from inside the mouth) I have no tooth pain, its mainly the skin where my bone is, might see some slight yellow lin very small or a dot its hard to see up there because i have a baby face, chubby cheeks!Could this be a tooth infection even though i have no tooth pain? I also have Red nodules i guess in the back of my mouth behind my tounge and my throat hurts, chest tightness and swollen lymphs in my now stiff neck, i'm not sure if they go together or not, or if this is a question for a dentist or Physicia
Category: Dental
Expert:  Donetta replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

Have you had your wisdom teeth removed? If so how long ago and by who? Oral surgeon or General DDS? Also had you notice the nodules and swollen lymphs before or after the pain? Are the swollen lymphs in your neck and throat area? Just one side or both sides?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have never had wisdom teeth, i havent been to the dentist since last may so about a year, because i no longer have insurance. My dentist told me a long time ago that i will most likely never get them, and my mom has never had them either.

I think i noticed the swollen lymphs along both sides of my neck when it started to become stiff about 2 days ago, which was when my jaw was midly hurting. The small red noduals on my throat back of tounge got worse or i at least noticed it yesterday. Same time i figured out that my jaw pain was coming from inside my mouth, rather then the top of the bone. The pain is like i'm very dry, like when you need water really bad, but i'm drinking water. my neck pain is tight almost swollen feeling but not actually swollebn, at least at least visably. i think the back of my throat might be but thats justa guess b/c i have no idea what it looks like normally
Expert:  Donetta replied 6 years ago.
Ok, did a dentist do x-rays and tell you that you have no wisdom teeth? Or did they just look in your mouth and say probably not there?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I think the last x-rays he took were either last year(may) or 6 months prior to that. He said it when look at a spoecific set when i was about 18 i think. I would assume that in the later x-rays he had taken he would have mentioned if he saw any, i assume he meant i'll never get them because of what he saw in the x-rays (he is my dentist in ohio seen him from age 9-last may) i live in California now and dont have insurance or i would have just called him.....

so long story short, no he didnt just tell me i dont have them, he looked at x-rays over a year ago, and that when he told me, no one has seen me since
Expert:  Donetta replied 6 years ago.

ok just to clarify, it is possible to have impacted wisdom teeth that are not visible on bite wing x-rays (that is where they have you bite on film and take picture of upper and lower at the same time. This is usually what they do for check ups. I would call their office, explain where you are and ask if they have x-rays that show the wisdom teeth area clearly. Also if he thinks there is a chance you could have impacted wisdom teeth. Sometimes, upper wisdom teeth can be up high enough and far enough back that you don't see them unless you take a xray specifically in that area. Having said that, it could be sometime of strep, or other type of infections. We see this occasionally where the throat or tonsils are irritated and causes irritation in the mouth. There are also other types of fungal infections in the mouth. If you don't feel this is specifically dental, ie a tooth problem, which you have stated you don't, I think it is worth a trip to the doctor before it turns into a major problem that can cost much more.

I hope this helped and I hope you feel better soon,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can you be more specific about the other things? And what exactly wopuld be symptoms of impacted teeth? Do you work for an oral surgeon or dentist? What are they symptoms or names of the fungal? This isnt very specific.....second opinion?
Expert:  Donetta replied 6 years ago.

Ok I am no medical doctor, so I am talking about infections such as strep or tonsils or some time of sinus problem. No I can't be more specific on these.

Fungal such as yeast, try eating a serving of yogurt 2 x daily and see if symptoms improve.

If I had to guess I would say either, you have an impacted wisdom tooth, sorry my guess. Or that you have poked the tissue up there and caused trauma which has triggered a systemic reaction. This again is just a guess. Wisdom teeth are in a location that unless you are taking periapical xrays for a second molar, you may not see. Even if they are not trying to erupt in the gum, they can be facing sideway and cause a similar reaction to what you are describing.

I am sorry I can't be more specific with out an xray and visual exam. You don't have to accept, but I still think you should make a trip to a doctor. Sorry I guess it's the mother in me.

Another thought is if there is a dental college close to you, you can usually get an xray and exam for around 30-50 dollars. I know this may seem like a lot to some, but it is money well spent. If not then spend the money and go to an outpatient clinic or doctors office to have it evaluated.

Again, good luck and hope you feel better soon!!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No dental college's near by.
Can you not give me the symptoms of an impacted tooth? And would a dentist only tell me i wont get them if he had the x-ray to show him that? We did the lying down ones and the all around the head one standing up a year or a year and a half ago......
Expert:  Donetta replied 6 years ago.

Ok if you did the pano, where you stand up and the thing rotates around your head, then that definately would have shown. So the wisdom teeth are not the problem.

May be a systemic thing, sorry I can't be more specific. As I stated I am not an MD. You would need to talk to a doctor about that.

Good luck,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
could it be like a gum thing? Is there a oral surgeon in this that you can send this to?
Expert:  Donetta replied 6 years ago.

I will send to a good DDS on here, but don't think he is up right now.

Good luck,

Donetta, Certified Dental Assistant
Experience: 14 years of experience in all facets of general dentistry
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My jaw just started to make a clicking noise on the other side from where it is sore when i try and pop my ears
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer. I have read the entire dialogue posted above.

What is clear to me is :

- you do not have impacted wisdom teeth

- you have a TMJ (Temporomandibular joint, the one with which your lower jaw opens with) problem, which is resulting in the clicking

- you most probably have a traumatic ulcer or an ulcer secondary to a underlying systemic infection.
This can be confirmed by a battery of blood investigations like:

Bleeding time
Clotting tme
Haemoglobin level
Complete Bloood count
Random Blood sugar level
Prothrobin tme
Partial Thromboplastin time

- the throat pain and the chest tightness is beyonfd the ourview of a dentist, you need ENT and Physician consultation

I would advise you to :

- take an opinion from a Oral Surgeon and sugegst the above investigations. If funds are the problem I suggest the follwoing alternatives:

1. Try to contact the local dental society in your area and see if there are any charitable organizations or foundations that will do your treatment for a reduced fee.

You can find the contact information of your local dental society by visiting :

http://www.ada.org/ada/organizations/local.asp

2. Consider getting treatment from a dental school near you . The charges are
lesser than those charged by a private practioner.

Here is a link with the list of all the dental schools in the USA:

http://www.dentalsite.com/dentists/densch.html

- for your throat, see a ENT specialist and a General Physician.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.

I wish you a speedy recovery !!!

Regards,
Dr. Behere.

If my answer has helped you, please click on the *ACCEPT* button and give me *POSITIVE FEEDBACK*.

A * BONUS* will be highly appreciated. This tells me that my advice was indeed beneficial.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what is a traumatic ulcer? why is there no actual sore present (that i can see) if it would be an ulcer, could it be a gum or bone infection? because where the jaw connects to the teeth up at the top there on my jaw is where it hurts, its the bone more then anything. I'm confused.

Thanks for responding.

A traumatic ulcer is a break in the continuity of the mucous lining of the mouth, caused due to some kind of trauma to it.

You mention a tiny hole in your first post.

Yes, it is also possible that you could be having an infection.

Please understand, that there is just about this much that we on JA can diagnose, without having a good look at you and without carrying out any investigations.

In cases such as yours, we try to come up with a list of the most likely possibilties.

I sugegst you seek personal proffesional help without any delay.

I wish you a speedy recovery !!!

Regards,
Dr. Behere.

Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience: Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.