Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

I had a tooth extraction 24 hours ago and its still ...

I had a tooth extraction 24 hours ago and its still bleeding? A bridge was put over the area and no sutures were used. It was an abcessed tooth. Should i be worried????
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

By a bridge I assume that you mean to say some sort of a cotton dressing was packed over the extraction site.

Yes, bleeding 24 horus after the extraction is not completely normal. The methods adopted to arrest the bleeding were probably inadequate.

I suggest you see the dentist who did the extraction without any further delay. He will put in the sutures that should stop the bleeding.

Till then, you can do the following :

Do not gargle your mouth.

Do not eat anything hot, spicy or hard. If you are a smoker, avoid smoking for some time.

Take a tea bag consisting of black tea and not the green or herbal variety. Black tea has tannins as its ingredient that help in arresting the bleeding. Put it it in water just so that it becomes damp. This is important, to prevent the bag sticking to the clot that will form eventually. Fold it in half and put it on the socket which is bleeding and bite on it for half an hour with firm pressure. If this does not work,repeat the entire procedure with a fresh tea bag.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.

I wish you a speedy recovery !!!

Regards,
Dr. Behere.

If my answer has helped you, please click on the *ACCEPT* button and give me *POSITIVE FEEDBACK*.

A * BONUS* will be highly appreciated. This tells me that my advice was indeed beneficial.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There was no cotton packing.. just a temporary bridge over the pulled tooth site. it was not sutured and just let open???? Is this bad Should i go back today? He will have to remove temporary bridge??

Thanks for responding.

Oh you actually meant a bridge. It is very unusual to cement a temporary bridge after an extraction. At least, I hope that the dentist made you wait for an hour after the tooth was removed, checked whether everything was ok, and then put the bridge on. If not, that is just bad dentistry.

Sutures need not be given in every case. When the extraction has taXXXXX XXXXX, there has been a lot of tissue tearing , lot of bleeding, then they are given.

Yes, please go and see him immediately. and yes again, he will have to remove the bridge.

Dont worry, if he has fixed it with temporary cement, it will come off very easily.

I wish you a speedy recovery !!!

Regards,
Dr. Behere.

Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience: Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.