Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience:  11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.

My #31 molar is cracked completely around base of tooth. I ...

My #31 molar is cracked completely around base of tooth. I found this out after experiencing terrible pain and thought I needed a root canal. When the endodentist got in to examine, he found the tooth extremely cracked and said it couldn''t be saved. He took out the nerves, closed it up, and sent me back to my dentist. He explained the tooth could be extracted and at same time a post put in for implant. I went back to my regular dentist who also concurred, sent me to noted periodontist who quoted me $3100 to extract tooth and immediately prepare area for implant! (My insurance covers none of this, except part of the extraction!) Is there another course I could possibly take?

Welcome to just answer.

If the there is extensive loss of tooth structure and the crack in the tooth is vertical(across the tooth divding it into two halves) than it is difficult to restore this tooth and extraction is advisable.

I can understand that procedures such as implants will not be covered by your dental insurances as it comes under the cosmetic procedures as there are other less expensive dental procedures that will replace missing teeth besides implants, the dental insurance companies only pay for the least costly options.

Please remember that after extraction it is very important to replace that missing molar.If the gum area is left empty there are chances of the adjacent teeth drifting into that area,this is called as pathologic tooth migration.Soft tissue forces of the tongue, cheeks, and lips are known to cause tooth movement and in some situations can cause pathologic tooth migration.Eruption forces sometimes play a role in its etiology as there is some tooth movement taking place throughout the age,The drifting teeth become crooked and misaligned making them more prone to decay because they are harder to keep clean.

Look at the link:

Over the course of time one can also see receeded gums.We have two molars on each side ..the need of second one wouldnt have arised if we could just worked well with one.
Molars bear all the forces of mastication and are the most functional and essential teeth in the oral cavity.
Its also great to know that you have maintained your oral hyiegine and your gums/teeth are in good shape!!

After extraction you can go in for options like bridges or removable partial denture for your missing molars,There cost is less and if well fabricated and placed give good results.

You can contact your dental associations for help who can guide you well.Here is the link for there address and contact details
You can also approach dental schools in and around your city and seek the treatment from there,The cost of treatment is much less a compared to any private practioner.

I hope this answers all your queries.Please feel free to contact me again for help.If satisfied please accept.
Take care!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How can I have a bridge or partial when this is the back molar #31, and my wisdom teeth have already been pulled years ago. How do they attach a bridge??

You still have options and there is nothing to worry, You can go in for Cantilever bridges which will take the support of the molar present ahead and an extra teeth can also be placed next to your #31.A cantilever bridge is a fixed bridge that attaches to adjacent teeth on one end only.

Removable partial dentures can also be made to replace teeth on one side of the mouth when a fixed bridge is not an option.They can take support of the molar present ahead and a denture tooth has metal clips that encircle the abutment teeth.

So you can ask your dentist for various options still available other then implants,to replace the missing teeth.

I hope this answers all your queries.Please feel free to contact me again for help.

If satisfied please accept.

Take care!

Also look at the follwing site

Under the subheading -Cantilever Bridge.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
One more concern: The molar next to #31, I had a root canal on last year. It already has a crown on it. Is this tooth strong enough to do a cantilever bridge as you mentioned above? Could this be 'risky', and down the line I'm looking at more problems with that tooth perhaps 'cracking' too and the one-sided cantiliver bridge is then in jeopardy? (You have been most helpful and I appreciate your last reply to the above. By the way, I do not want a partial if I can help it!)
Dear Tulip,

Thanks again for your response.

The Cantilever bridge is often used when there are teeth on only one side of the span.A typical three-unit cantilever bridge can be used which consists of two crowned teeth positioned next to each other on the same side of the missing tooth space.The filler tooth is then connected to the two crowned teeth,which extend into the missing tooth space or end.So your dentist can crown even the teeth present ahead of the root canal treated molar and can well support the bridge.A root canal treated tooth now has a crown and it should function well.
You can periodically get your tooth and bridge evaluated by the dentist to keep an eye if anything is going wrong with the tooth or bridge(for maintanence)
Also there is a an option of partial which can be of various design forms and they use Major
Connectors and Direct/Indirect Retainers which also function well.

Read the article

If satisfied please accept.

Take care!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Dr. Suruchi,
You have been extremely helpful and I appreciate your thoroughness in explaining the various 'options' I have, in addition to an implant.
I will discuss these options with my dentist and now feel more equipped to make the right decision for my situation. Thank you very much for the time you spent with me. I will highly recommend this website to my family and friends!
I am glad i could help you

Please accept and leave a positve feedback so that i get credit for my work

It was my pleasure to help you my dear

I wish you well and good luck for future