Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience:  11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.

I accidentally swollowed my temporary caps on my ...

I accidentally swollowed my temporary caps on my teeth...it was one crown that fit over two teeth probably about 5/8 of an inch long 3/8 of an inch wide and 3/8 of an inch deep. I would assume this will pass...but I''m concerned as it popped off once before and I noticed the edges were somewhat sharp. Is there something I should eat or should I try to vomit it up?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

When did this happened?

Are you feeling any abnormal symptoms after that,such as pain in the stomach,cramps?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This happened about an hour ago. It must have come loose while I was eating bread sticks. I finished by two cuts of pizza thinking that bread or dough would help the temporary crown pass down into my stomach. Right now I'm experiencing a nervous stomach probably because I'm worried what I should be doing and if this sort of accident usually aloows it to pass without issue.
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 6 years ago.
DearCustomer

Thanks for your response and patience.

I can understand your situation.

First of all you need to calm down,Donot panic much.

In case the crown is in oesophagus/food tube it needs to removed as soon as possible as it can cause choking, difficulty in swallowing,coughing.But if the crown has reached the stomach,it probably will pass through the body by itself without causing problems.This usually takes several days, but may take as long as 2 or 3 weeks.
It is a good idea to check your stool for the next few days just to make sure that it does come out and it's not stuck somewhere in your body.
You should also get X-rays of the chest and abdomen done to find/locate the crown
Also follow these instructions:

Donot induce vomitting ,it can cause you to inhale /aspirate the crown to your lungs.

Continue to drink take lot of liquids,until the object has passed your stools,You can aslo continue eating soft food which you already did.

Watch your stools to see if the object has passed,donot use laxative unless told by the doctor.

But if you get more serious symptoms like vomiting,gagging,choking,drooling,neck or throat pain,difficulty in breathing,if there is any pain in the stomach or blood in the stool/rectal bleeding than you should immediately contact your physician or ER at the hospital.

Most important thing,please donot panic.Things will be fine soon!

I hope this answers all your queries.
Feel free to contact me again for any query.
Please accept and leave a feedback.

Take care

Thanks
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience: 11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How will I know if it passes the oesophagus/food tube? For clarity how long does it normally take for the food to reach the stomach so I'll know it is not lodged in the oesophagus area? Perhaps I've answered that question by stating that the crown popped of and was accidentally swallowed with bread while I was eating. After I knew I swallowed it I continued eating to try to move it along. I hate about two large slices of pizza after that.
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 6 years ago.
Dear XXXXXbeck,

Thanks for your response and patience,

I am extremely sorry to overlook that point.
If it would have been stuck in the oesophagus area you would have felt the choking sensation that time itself,But now as you swallowed it along the food,the crown must have reached the stomach and it will easily pass out via your stools in few days.
It takes few seconds( 4-8 seconds )for the food to reach stomach but it can take few days/a week or so for the crown to pass in your stools.

I hope this answers all your queries.
Please accept and leave a feedback.

Take care

Thanks