Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience:  11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.
8847979

Diagnosed with dental abscess in crowned tooth. Was ...

Diagnosed with dental abscess in crowned tooth. Was prescribed antibiotics and told I needed a Root Canal done. I''d like to know if a Root Canal can to done on a crown and also how long should it take for the antibiotics to work, this is my 3rd day and it is still very uncomfortable.
DearCustomer

Welcome to just answer.

Yes a root canal therapy can be performed on a crowned tooth,If a crowned tooth does require a root canal,it could be that the tooth has abscessed or that decay has gotten underneath the crown and reached the pulp of the tooth.
Your dentist can make a hole through the crown, and patch it afterward,also a hole in the back of the crown can be drilled to get access to do the root canal.
Also,if the tooth is crowned a separate procedure called a post and core is often needed to build up the tooth on a previously treated root canaled tooth.

Read more about it here
http://www.doctorspiller.com/Post_and_Core.htm

Any antibiotic will need minimum 48 hours to get effective and it can vary among individuals,if you are uncomfortable and you are having pain you can also take a painkiller along with the antibiotics.

You can take tablet Tylenol 650mg,thrice daily,it is an otc drug.
Read more about it here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tylenol

To reduce the swelling and for the drainage of abscess you can start rinsing frequently with hot salt water solution-- dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as you can tolerate
without burning your mouth,and rinse for two minutes every four hours, this will provide you
relief.

Avoid eating, hot, spicy and hard food.
Donot brush hard or chew hard foods from that area

I hope this answers all your queries.

Please feel free to contact me again for help

If satisfied please accept and leave a feedback

Take care!

Thanks.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your advice, I'm not as worried now. Thank you again I really appreciate it.
Thanks Jodrinkall,

Thanks for the accept ,please leave a positive feedback if possible.

Take care.