Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience:  11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.

I have had pain in my teeth for 4 days now. Its not a ...

I have had pain in my teeth for 4 days now. It''s not a constant pain. It comes and goes. My whole right side of my face was hurting, that has gone, but now one of my front teeth hurts. Its a dull pain, but hurts worse when i bite down or touch the back of the tooth with my tongue. Also, feels like the right side of my jaw is kinda sore.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 6 years ago.
DearCustomer

Welcome to just answer.

Can you give me a little detailed information about your condition?

Is there a cavity associated with any teeth?

Do you have habit of clenching your teeth/grinding your teeth?

Is there any sensitivity to hot/cold?

Pus/abscess formation in any teeth?

Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I dont think there is a cavity, I have had a filling done on the one that is now hurting. I don't know if i really have a habit of grinding my teeth, but some of the things associated with grinding teeth, such as jaw pain, and dreams of my teeth falling out. I have noticed that at times i do clinch my teeth together. There is slight sensitivity to cold. Hot doesnt bother me. No pus or abscess. At first it felt like it may have been my sinuses, but now i dont understand why my front tooth is hurting. Its a very dull pain, but worsens when my teeth touch at the bottom of the tooth or if i touch the back of the tooth with my tongue.
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 6 years ago.
Dear cmd1,

Thanks for additional information.
Thanks alot for your response and patience.

There are few more questions,please answer them for me and i will get back to you as soon as possible!

When was the filling done? Was it a root canal or just a simple filling?

Does your front teeth looks like its worn out or appears shorter( look in the mirror for the edges of your teeth)?Do you feel that the edges are flattened or there is any loss of tooth structure at the edge(lower end of that teeth)?

Does the tooth hurts ONLY when touched by your opposing tooth/toungue touch?
Has anyone never told you grind your teeth(If at all,you do!)? As usually its involuntarily grinding at the night during sleep and the person is not aware of it!

Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The filling was done a couple months ago ( I think around October, November) It was just a simple filling.

It's not shorter, feels like it may be thinner.

It hurts at all times, pain is actually getting worse. But it hurts severly if i touch it with my tongue.

No one has ever told me i grind my teeth. I was reading information on the internet, and i have some of those symptoms.
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 6 years ago.
Hello cmd1,

Thanks for your response and patience.

I am sorry that you are having such a tooth ache,and I have to tell you that your already filled tooth is not fine.
Your symptoms of dull lingering pain,senstivity to cold,pressure from suction exerted by tongue are indicative of Irreversible pulpitis(pulpal inflammation.The most common cause of irreversible pulpitis is bacterial involvement of the pulp.Situations in which exquiselty sensitive to cold or hurts spontaneously without an external stimulus may have a dieing nerve and this tooth might need a root canal therapy.
This probably means the pulp has been irreversibly damaged by Deep decay or any crack/fracture of filling.What happened initially with this tooth is that the bacteria has penetrated beyond the dentine and inhabits the pulp,Eventually the nerve has died and has become necrotic,spontaneos pain is also present because of the same reason.This sort of pain is the lingering pain,this pain from the infection may also be Referred to the other areas of the same arch(to other teeth on same side) and Opposing arches.Sometimes,this pain can also radiate to angle of the mandible(lower jaw)and also sometimes to the ear.
The Prognosis of tooth is favourable if the pulp is removed and undergoes proper endodntic therapy and restoration.

I would like you get your tooth properly re-evaluated by your dentist,preferably an endodontist.Also,get an xray made for the same tooth,dentist can decide a treatment paln for you,this tooth probably needs a root canal.

You also told that the incisal edge surface is getting thinner,this might be due daily physiologic wear and tear that takes place during biting or chewing or by your clenching habit,Well if you are aware of such a thing happening than try to minimize and than finally stop the habit.In a long run it can effect all your teeth and can cause other discomforts.

For your pain relief you can take Tablet Tylenol
It is an over the counter drug for pain relief.

Read more about it here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tylenol

Donot brush hard or chew hard foods from that area.

I hope this answers all your questions.
Feel free to ask me further if you have any queries.

Take care.
Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dr.Suruchi's Post: At this time i do not have the funds to get a root canal, what should i do?
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 6 years ago.
DearCustomer
Thanks again for your response.

I can understand your situation,but donot worry,If funds are posing a problem than you can approach your local/state dental association for help.

You can contact them here:
http://www.ada.org/ada/organizations/orgdetail.asp?OrganizationID=377

Also,Best is to get a treatment done from the Dental School in your city.
Have a look at this site:
http://www.dentalclinicmanager.com/list-of-dental-schools.html

I hope this answers all your queries, If so, please accept,your POSITIVE FEEDBACK is important to me!

Thanks
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience: 11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.