Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience:  11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.

I have constant throbbing pain in my left side, both

Customer Question

I have constant throbbing pain in my left side, both upper and lower jaw and all my teeth on that side of the mouth. I''ve always had great dental hygeine and extracted all of my wisdom teeth about 5 years ago. This suddenly came on the pain is increasingly getting worse. Pain meds don''t seem to help me much and neither does oral gel. My whole left side feels extremely heavy like its full of lead or something, and opening my mouth is increasingly getting worse. The pain is excruciating, and I''d rather be back in the delivery room in labor with my child than dealing with this pain. I have no idea what could be causing this and just want the pain to stop. The pain never stops, and I think I end up passing out from the pain at night to go to bed. I know when I bend over to pick something up off the ground it seems to throb even worse. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks ~ Jaxson''s Mommy
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 6 years ago.
HelloCustomer

Welcome to just answer.

Can you please answer the following questions for me.

Is there any other tooth/teeth which is carious on the left side?
Any pus/swelling present?

Is there any bleeding or inflammation of gums?

Do you feel any loose tooth/teeth in the region?

Whats your age?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have only had one cavity in my life, but that is tooth is over on my right side not my left. I have never had braces (I have really good teeth, thankfully and take very good pride in them).

No pus and minimal swelling (I believe)

no bleeding of the gums and the gums don't hurt to touch.

no loose teeth either

I'm 26 years old.

I also am known to clench my teeth, however lately it seems that when I close my mouth, my teeth touch on my left side but not my right side (which is new, both sides have always touched when my mouth is closed).
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 6 years ago.
DearCustomer

Do you feel any sensitivity in that area?

Are you using any mouth guard currently?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No sensitivity, just constant throbbing like pain, and pressure, which never goes away.

I stopped using the mouth guard because I was waking up in the morning and my front teeth would hurt real bad. My front teeth no longer hurt since I've stopped using the mouth guard.
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 6 years ago.
Hello jaxsons mommmy,

Thanks again for your response and patience.

If your mouth guard was giving you discomfort and was causing pain than probably it was an ill-fitted one,and Now as you have stopped using it the severity of pain has increased with your back teeth,the pain you experience can be anyhting from a Muscular pain to a TMJ(temporomandibular joint) pain.
Clenching puts pressure on muscles,tissues or structures around your jaw,which can also lead to jaw related disorders as you are having difficulty and pain while opening your mouth.An episode can last for long time causing lot of problems to muscles,teeth and structural integrity of the joint.There has been alterations in your occlusion too off lately,because of which you feel the difference when you close your teeth that your teeth donot meet the same way as they used to before.Clenching also causes problems in unbalanced bite(unbalanced jaw)
You need to consult your dentist to get your tmj evaluated,He can also provide you with custom fitted mouth protectors

Please feel free to ask me again if you have queries.
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Experience: 11 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating problems in oral and dental health.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much for looking into this matter for me. I greatly appreciate it. I have called my dentist and set up an appointment.
Expert:  Dr.Hans replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the accept,please leave a positive feedback if possible!

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Thanks!