Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience:  Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.
7707004

how do i make my tooth stop hurting its sunday and cant ...

Customer Question

how do i make my tooth stop hurting? its sunday and cant see a dentist.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. George McKee replied 6 years ago.

Dear ,

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. I am sorry that you are having a toothache.

Here is what you can do to try to make your tooth stop hurting.

Until you can get to your dentist to have the pain diagnosed and treated, here are a few things you can try to help alleviate the pain.

A very good way to control dental pain using over the counter medications is to switch between taking 400 milligrams of ibuprofen (e.g., 2 tablets of Advil), and 1000 milligrams of acetaminophen (e.g., 2 tablets of extra-strength Tylenol) every 3 hours. Be careful not to use these medications if you have had previous adverse reactions to either, or if you have had gastritis or peptic ulcer disease in the past, or if you have liver disease. Anything stronger and you will have you get a prescription which would involve a trip to an after hours care facility, an emergency room, dentist or physician.

If the tooth has a decayed area or a hole in it, you can try "Toothache Drops" available at your pharmacy. This is clove oil (eugenol) which is very soothing to an exposed tooth. Place a drop or two on a cotton pellet and place on the tooth or on the hole of the tooth.

If you have any swelling or suspect an infection, your best bet is to rinse frequently with hot salt water solution-- dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as you can tolerate without burning your mouth, and rinse for two minutes every four hours over the affected tooth. If there is an abscess brewing, the heat will soften the tissue that forms the wall of the abscess, and promote drainage.

I hope this answers your question.

If you have any concerns regarding this issue that I have not addressed, please let me know and I will get back to you with more information.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX DDS