Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience:  Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.
7707004

i can tast blood in my mouth from time to time and can spit ...

Customer Question

i can tast blood in my mouth from time to time and can spit it out its worse first thing in the morning. i have just notice my gums at the top front of mouth are red running along three teeth and they feel tender but not tender to touch just a feeling sensation. my teeth dont seem loose i i have pointed this out to dentist and he said i have mild genivitus? but this problem spitting blood out is not that problem he says. it doesnt appear to be coming from my throat it seems to come into the slava in my mouth also i can get a very dry mouth during night and throat and ive had a flat line that runs along top part of inner lip that can hurt like an ulcer but you cant see it unless ive had anything spicy or citrus then it appears white please help its baffling me or had lots of blood tests all normal
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. George McKee replied 6 years ago.

Dear ,

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

You have two conditions in your mouth that are compounding upon each other to create these symptoms.

The first is that you are mouth breathing at night. Something in your nasal passages is preventing you from breathing through your nose at night. This is why you wake up with a dry throat. In addition, the gum tissues that you describe as red and inflamed are drying out at night. These are tissues that are supposed to remain moist and when they dessicate at night, they become irritated and will bleed easily, even when you sleep. The blood dries in your mouth and when you wake, it mixes with your saliva giving you the impression that there is blood in the saliva.

The mild gingivitis you have is the other factor causing this. Good oral hygiene will minimize this but won't go completely away until you can start breathing through your nose at night.

You should make an appointment with your physician or ear, nose and throat specialist to get to the bottom of this condition. Until you can get your nasal passages cleared up, you should try putting some Vaseline petroleum jelly on your gums and lips before going to bed at night to keep them from drying out. This should help to drastically improve the redness, bleeding and the flat line you observe, which is just dry skin.

I hope this answers your question.

If you have any concerns regarding this issue that I have not addressed, please let me know and I will get back to you with more information.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX DDS