Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

My face, jaw, bottom (rear) gums, and throat are intensely ...

My face, jaw, bottom (rear) gums, and throat are intensely painful. Is there a home remedy, or do I need immeditate med help?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. George McKee replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more? How long have you had this condition? Do you have any teeth in this area that hurt?. Is this face and jaw pain on both sides or just one side?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dr. George McKee's Post:

Yes, the rear, botttom teeth hurt. The pain is on both sides, and my face hurts, too. I noticed a slight jaw/face ache, a few days ago, but, it went away. The pain extends into my throat and it's hard to swallow.

I've woken up, just this morning, with this condition

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No congestion or stuffy nose, but deep inside, of my ears, hurts.

Dear Lorraine,

Thank you for that additional information. The inner ear, throat and sinuses are all interconnected and your problem most likely is related to an infection in one, both or all of these areas. Even if you do not sense any congestion in your sinuses, there is probably some pressure in them which pushes your upper teeth down a bit. This in turn makes your back teeth hit first when you bite down and you are noticing this mostly on your bottom teeth. I do not think your teeth play any role in your condition. It is vary rare to have both sides of you jaw hurt at exactly the same time when teeth are the source of the problem. I suggest you consult with a physician or ear, nose and throat specialist and find out where the problem/infection is coming from. They should at least put you on some antibiotics initially to get you comfortable while they diagnose the source of the condition. I hope this information helps.

If you have any concerns regarding this issue that I have not addressed, please let me know and I will get back to you with more information.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX DDS

Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience: Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'm quite hesistant to rule out the bottom teeth and gums, as the source. I've had abnormal wearing, of the enamel, on the bottom, rear teeth. And the ache is concentrated on the back, rear gums and the upper glands of my throat.

Perhaps, I'm wrong, but I really think it's a dental souce problem.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
I'm quite hesistant to rule out the bottom teeth and gums, as the source. I've had abnormal, extreme erosion of the enamel, on the (bottom rear teeth).

The dentin is quite exposed, and the ache is concentrated on the back, rear gums and the upper glands of my throat.

Expert:  replied 6 years ago.
DearCustomer

I agree that it is premature to rule out a dental problem. However, it's difficult to provide a reliable diagnosis based solely on your symptoms, which are quite non-specific, and could represent a variety of disorders-- both dental and not.

However, the acute onset of the symptoms, considered together with the widespread area involvement including the throat, suggests an acute viral or bacterial disorder. (The sensation of pain in the ears is consistent with lower jaw involvement, because the common nerve supply of the lower jaw and the ear makes for frequent pain radiation from one of these regions to the other.) A particularly close descriptive fit to your symptoms is a condition known variously as acute necrotizing gingivitis, or Vincent's angina. A finding of redness and swelling of the gums, which may be covered by a whitish membrane, would be further evidence of this condition.

However, the severity of your symptoms argues for a more formal diagnosis than can be derived remotely in this forum. In my experience, dentists are more familiar with the subtleties of identification of oral lesions than are medical doctors, and I recommend that you request a referral to an oral surgeon from your general dentist to continue the diagnostic process.

Hope this helps...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA