Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

My bridge fell out and I am out of town on work, what ...

Customer Question

My bridge fell out and I am out of town on work, what can I do temporarily? Thank you!
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 9 years ago.
DearCustomer

If you look inside the crowns and there is little more than a bit of cement or a slight amount of debris, this is an indication that the abutment teeth did not break off within the crowns, but rather the cement simply washed out or lost its hold. This can be confirmed if you look inside your mouth and see the prepared (drilled down) abutment teeth still there, poking through the gums. If this is the situation, then you can obtain temporary dental cement from any pharmacy and follow the label directions to temporarily re-attach the bridge. Be advised that the strength of the bond from temporary cement is not all that reliable, and you'll want to do as much chewing as you can some place in your mouth other than on that loose bridge. Keep some temporary cement in reserve in case you need to repeat the process.

However, if you look inside those bridge crowns and see part of the abutment teeth broken off inside, it's unlikely that you will be able to devise any temporary remedy on your own; in this case, you will need to consult with a local dentist to make some temporary provision for filling that bridge space.

Good luck!