Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience:  Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.

what is the best antibiotic for tooth infection

My tooth is absessed and aching

Dear ,

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

The antibiotic we usually prescribe for tooth infections is Amoxicillin or Penicillin. If you happen to be allergic to these the second choice is Erythromycin.

However, keep in mind that antibiotics alone will not cure you of your infection. They will reduce it somewhat, but once you stop taking them, the infection will return. This is because the source of your infection, the tooth, needs to be treated and that involves seeing a dentist. Using pain medication and antibiotics just treat the symptoms of your problem, the pain and swelling. An analogy would be taking pain medication for a thorn in your foot. The medication makes you feel all right but when you stop the pain medication, the pain returns. You have to treat the source of the problem (removing the thorn), to get better. I hope this answers your question.

If you have any concerns regarding this issue that I have not addressed, please let me know and I will get back to you with more information.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. George McKee's Post: Could my tooth eventually cause sinus problems?