Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

This morning I found a bump just above my jaw line. It is ...

This morning I found a bump just above my jaw line. It is not inside my mouth, nor is it on the skin surface. It does not hurt, but it is a little uncomfortable. It feels to be about the size of a pea. I am wondering what this could be?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 6 years ago.
DearCustomer

Could you describe a little more completely the location of this bump-- you've described where it is not, but not where it is. When you say "above the jaw line", do you mean upper jaw? lower jaw? Can you feel it between your fingers when you place one finger in the mouth and one finger on the outside of your face? Is the bump hard, or soft? Does it feel attached to the bone underneath, or is it freely movable in the skin? Is the bump stable in size, or does it get smaller and larger? Is the tissue overlying the bump normal in color, or is there a discoloration? Is the tissue overlying the bump of normal surface texture, or is it different from the surrounding tissue? Are there any other similar bumps you've had, either now or in the past? Was it in the same area, or different?

Answering these questions will permit a more accurate response.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Mark Bornfeld DDS's Post: It is just above the lower jaw line. It can move freely. I have not noticed any change in the size since I noticed it yesterday. I can only feel it from the outside of my face not from inside my mouth. It is a hard bump. My face looks normal, no discolouration or swelling. I have never had any bumps like this before.
Expert:  replied 6 years ago.
DearCustomer

There are several different things this swelling might represent:

-an enlarged lymph node, especially if it is more toward the back of the lower jaw
-a cyst or enlargement of the parotid salivary gland, especially if it is located toward the back of the jaw
-an intradermal cyst, such as a sebaceous cyst
-certain types of infections, such as actinomycosis, which have a predilection for this area-- especially if your immune system is suppressed
-a vasculopathy, such as arteritis, especially if it is about mid-way between the chin and the back angle of the lower jaw (the facial artery passes over the lower jaw at its mid-point)

This does not sound like a problem originating in the mouth, so it would be more appropriate to consult with your medical doctor rather than a dentist if the lump persists for more than a week.

Hope this helps...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA