Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience:  Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.
7707004

how soon can I blow my nose after a tooth

Customer Reply

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I had my #2 tooth pulled on tuesday I have a really bad sinus infection and I am on antibiotics, I would like to know how soon I can blow my nose, considering it was the tooth with roots into my sinuses.
Expert:  Dr. George McKee replied 6 years ago.
DearCustomer

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just answer. When a tooth that needs extracing is near the sinus there is always a chance that when it is removed, that a small opening will tear into the sinus. This is called an oral-antral fistula.

Basically, either you have one or you don't. If you do not have an oral-antral fistula, it is safe to blow your nose. You won't create one by doing so. If you do have one, you would have probably noticed it by now. You would probably have water come out your nose when drinking water. One way to make sure is to pinch your nose and try to gently blow air through your nose. If you have an oral-antral fistula, bubbles will come out the extraction site. Have someone look in your mouth while doing this to make sure. I hope ths answers your question.

If you have any concerns regarding this issue that I have not addressed, please let me know and I will get back to you with more information.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX DDS

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I also went to the dentist on thursday and he said I didn't have dry socket, but the medication I was on wasn't helping so I went to the emergency room on friday morning and they told me I did have dry socket so I wasn't sure. Plus to make matters even worse I can't sleep either, I have been using nasal spray and my cheekbone really hurts. Maybe I am over paranoid but this is my mouth and I am concerned.
DearCustomer

A dry socket is something else completely different. A dry socket is an unfortunate situation where the blood clot that formed in the extraction socket became dislodged, exposing the bone underneath. Your socket will continue to heal, but these are extremely painful. If over the counter pain mediation doesn't keep you comfortable, then your dentist can put a sedative dressing in the exposed socket that will give almost immediate pain relief. You can blow your nose with a dry socket. I really feel for you, however. A dry socket and a sinus infection at the same time! Call your dentist tomorrow and get the sedative dressing put in and eliminate one source of your misery. If after three or four days on the antibiotics your sinuses are not noticeably better, call your physician as the bacteria causing your sinus infection might be resistant to the antibiotic you are taking and you need to be placed on a different one.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX DDS