Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience:  Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.

What can I do to relieve my gum pressure

Customer Question

My gums feel like there is a lof of pressure on them, more so in the back but still a little in the front also. Its only my top gums. It feels like I need to bite hard on something, and when i floss it is like that good hurt you know. I am getting over a cold so maby thats why. I''m not sure what i can do to relieve it. I have taken ibprofen and its a little better but not much.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. George McKee replied 8 years ago.

Dear ,

Thank you for the question. The symptoms you describe indicate that the pressure you feel is coming from your sinuses. The nasal congestion from your cold creates a pressure in your sinuses. Some of the nerves that supply sensation to your teeth and gums run just under the floor of your sinuses. The pressure in your sinuses pushes on these nerves and causes a parasthesia (altered feeling) to the teeth and gums and can manifest as pain, numbness and/or swelling. Once your cold clears up the feeling of pressure in you gums will clear as well. I hope this answers your question.

If you have any concerns regarding this matter that I have not addressed, please let me know and I will get back to you with more information.