Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

after tooth extraction a hard white lump has appeared ...

after tooth extraction a hard white lump has appeared on the gum
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 6 years ago.
DearCustomer

In order to more accurately answer your question, please supply more information:

-how long after the extraction did the lump first become evident?

-is the hole from the extraction closed, or is it still open?

-is the lump covered by gum tissue, or is it a projection of some other type of tissue projecting through the gum?

-is the lump inside the socket (hole), or is it located adjacent to and to the side of the hole?

-are there any other symptoms (pain, swelling, redness, pus, etc.)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the hole is closed. it is covered by gum tissue.   it is to the side of the hole, on my outer gum. just a dull ache and a very small amount of tenderness if i keep bothering it. it appeared about 2 months after the extraction.
Expert:  replied 6 years ago.
DearCustomer

There are three possible things your bump could represent:

1. A bony prominence-- the removal of a tooth typically leaves a sharp, prominent edge of bone at the rim of the socket. Although the gum can easily heal over these edges, the overlying soft tissues are vulnerable to injury if pressure is applied-- the gum tissue can be injured by being pinched between external pressure and this internal bony ridge. Although these bony lumps will eventually round off, your dentist may need to perform a formal "alveolectomy" procedure if the problem persists. In this minor surgical procedure, the protruding bone is re-contoured to a less prominent shape.

2. A piece of bone may have become detached from its moorings, causing it to become devitalized-- a "sequestrum". Your dentist may need to remove this piece of bone if it is present.

3. A fragment of the root of the tooth may have inadvertently been allowed to remain after the extraction. Likewise, this root piece may need to be removed by your dentist.

I suggest that you return to your dentist to have your lump properly assessed, identified, and managed as needed.

Hope this helps...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA