Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience:  Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.

my tooth hurts when i eat or drink cold things

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. George McKee replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

Do you have a specific question related to your problem? Does the pain go away quickly after you swallow the cold water or does the pain linger on? If so approximately how long? How long has the tooth been sensitive to cold things?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. George McKee's Post: its been goin on for like a week and it lingers for a while after i swallow, it never been sensitive before this week

Lingering pain to a cold stimulus indicates that your tooth has dental decay. If a dark brown or black spot on this tooth is not visible then the decay has most likely originated in between the teeth. You need to have this taken care of by a dentist quickly. At this stage the tooth probably requires only a filling. If you delay treatment, the decay will grow deeper into the center of the tooth, causing more pain and necessitating a root canal. I hope this information was helpful. If you have any concerns regarding this issue that I have not addressed, please let me know and I will get back to you with more information.