Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience:  Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.
7707004

My 7 year olds permanent teeth are coming in yellow . . .

Customer Question

My 7 year olds permanent teeth are coming in yellow . . . what would cause this? Could she be deficient in something?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. George McKee replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer/p>

A child's primary (baby) teeth are normally much whiter in color than their permanent counterparts. The yellow color you are seeing might just be their natural color. This is a common concern we hear about from parents when that first permanent tooth erupts. However, it could be something else. As this new tooth erupts further into the mouth, you will be able to tell if this color is just an area or spot of discoloration or if it encompasses the entire tooth. A spot of discoloration can be caused by:

1. Damage caused to the permanent tooth from a previous abscess of the primary tooth, or a traumatic blow to the primary tooth.

2. A disruption in the formation of the enamel in this particular spot during the tooth's formation.

3. Too much fluoride in the water supply of your town, causing the teeth to form dark spots as they develop. You live in Texas where this can be common.

In all three situations above, once the tooth has fully erupted, your dentist can remove these spots and place a tooth colored restoration in its place.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any concerns regarding this matter that I have not addressed, please let me know and I will get back to you with more information.

SIncerely, XXXXX XXXXX DDS