Pam, Dental Hygienist
Experience:  Dental Hygienist with 20 years of experience

black spot the size of a pea at the very top of my gum ...

black spot the size of a pea at the very top of my gum above my tooth which is acrown.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Pam replied 8 years ago.
Is this black spot something that has been there for a long time? Or did you just recently notice it being there? If you recently noticed it being there, do you know for certain it was not there previously?

The most common reason for a dark area on your gums near a crown or a large filling would be an amalgam tattoo. Sometimes metal from a silver filling (especially a large filling) can become embedded in your gum tissue and "tattoo" your gums. It is harmless, but, it looks scary when it is first noticed. If you have a crown, you either had a silver filling before the crown was placed or when you had the tooth prepared for the crown, the build up was most likely accomplished with the use of silver filling material (an alloy).

The following are links for pictures of amalgam tattoos and further information. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance!

amalgam tattoo

amalgam tattoo 2

The following is a picture of an amalgam tattoo
graphicdental.justanswer/" border="0" alt="graphic"/>