Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

I have a infected tooth will cipro be a good antibotic to use

Customer Question

i have a tooth that is infected and the gum above it
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 8 years ago.

Although an acute dental infection might respond to administration of Cipro, it is not necessarily the first antibiotic I would choose for the purpose. Also, be advised that antibiotics at best serve an ancillary role in the treatment of dental infection. In other words, antibiotics do not cure dental infection; they can only reduce the severity of an acute infection so that a more definitive dental treatment can be implemented. For elimination of infection, it is necessary to perform either a root canal therapy, periodontal therapy, apicoectomy, or extraction, as the circumstances demand.

Your best first step would be to schedule an appointment with your dentist so that the full nature of your dental infection can be identified; once that is done, the appropriate course of treatment will be more clear.

Hope this helps...