Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

How do I file down sharp teeth

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 8 years ago.
DearCustomer

I have had an enterprising patient use a Dremel hand drill with a cylindrical emery arbor band, and have been quite impressed with the result. However, I can't in good conscience recommend that method to you-- there is just too much potential for injury to either the teeth or surrounding soft tissues. It is too easy for the rotary instrument to skip over the teeth and hit an unintended target, with potentially disastrous results.

In short, any re-contouring of the teeth should ideally be done by your dentist-- he is more appropriately trained and equipped for the task. It is also best to determine why a tooth is sharp-- it could just be the result of chronic wear from chewing, or it may be due to breakage secondary to tooth decay. For these reasons, it's best to leave the dentistry to your dentist.

Good luck!